Things to never say or do to a professor

Sam Vander Forest

Throughout your time at college you’re going to realize (or already have) that there are certain things that are acceptable and certain things that are not acceptable in the relationship between you and your professor. There are countless pet peeves that we have of professors, but what people forget is that they have just as many with us. Here are a few things to avoid saying or doing when you’re interacting with your professor either in class or outside the lecture hall.

1. Don’t brag about your procrastination skills, you are talking to the wrong crowd. It might seem impressive and funny to your friends and peers, but to a professor that’s just a big reason not to like you and a good way for them to know how much you really don’t care about the class.

2. Don’t ask if something is going to be on the test. Your professor doesn’t want to hear how you’re picking and choosing which information is important. It’s important to assume that everything in the class is valuable knowledge and will most likely be on a test. Some professors are okay with that question and will even remind you of important notes, but as a general rule of thumb, don’t ask it.

3. I know it’s hard but don’t stare at your phone the whole class period. It’s rude to them and it’s even more distracting, so if you have to do it at least be subtle and do it sparingly.

4. Use good email etiquette when talking to a professor. Your professor would most likely be confused, shocked and angry if they got an email where numbers replace words and terms like “LOL” are used. If you are talking like that and replacing the words “to” with “2” and “you” with “U,” you need to re-evaluate yourself and why you’re in college.

5. Lastly, don’t ask if you “missed anything important.” I know you mean well by checking in with them and staying updated, but it can come off as if you don’t see the course material as valuable. Like number 2, a lot of professors won’t mind, but just be careful of how you word it. Maybe try, “Did I miss any activities or in-class quizzes?”