ISU Theatre celebrates 100th anniversary

Photo: Kelsey Kremer/Iowa State Daily

Cast members of the ISU Theatre production “Alice in Wonderland” gather on stage to warm up before beginning the first dress rehearsal Tuesday, Nov. 27, on Fisher Theater. 

Dakota Carpenter

Students, faculty and alumni will have a chance to showcase their talents in ISU Theatre’s celebration of its 100th anniversary. 

Auditions for the anniversary gala will take place Sept. 18. Students are allowed to prepare anything that highlights the performing arts such as acting, singing and dancing. The gala performance will be Nov. 15 in Fisher Theater.

Jane Cox has been with ISU Theatre for more than 20 years. She has been working to contact and coordinate dates and times with alumni for the gala.

Cox said she is looking forward to a large attendance at the gala. She is also expecting polished performances from all involved participants.

“I hope they’ll see some of the best talent we’ve ever produced,” Cox said. “I think we have somebody coming from each coast.”

One alumnus that the audience will be able to see on stage will be Frank Ferguson.

Ferguson graduated in 1950 with a degree in journalism and is now living in Boston, Mass. During his time at Iowa State, he participated in theater as an extracurricular.

For the gala, Ferguson will be performing the Stage Manager’s opening monologue from “Our Town” by Thornton Wilder. He has performed this play a number of times and has been spending his time polishing his lines.

Ferguson said he is looking forward to seeing current ISU students’ performances as well as participating in the gala. He said he is excited to return to Ames for a visit and has plans to visit with Cox.

“I was delighted because theater had been an important part of my life,” Ferguson said of his feelings when he was asked to participate.

Although alumni performances will be featured at the gala, student performances will be an important part of the night as well.

Auditions are open to all students. Everyone auditioning will be given the opportunity to work alongside other students in performing arts as well as students from other majors and backgrounds.

Christopher Priebe, senior in performing arts, has been involved in more than nine university productions and will be auditioning for the gala. He said he is looking forward to working with his colleagues, as well as watching and learning from the alumni performers.

“Everything is more fun when everyone is willing to work hard to succeed together,” Priebe said.

Priebe is preparing a scene from the play “Amadeus.” He previously performed this scene when ISU Theatre put on the show in the spring 2014 semester.

Priebe has been reworking the scene and challenging himself to make it even better than it was when he previously performed in the show.

“It’s an audition,” Priebe said. “[You need to] know what it is that you are doing. Don’t wing it.”

Priebe is expecting great things from the gala performances.

He said he is confident that it will be a night filled with excitement for ISU Theatre as well as a collection of performances from old to young.

“Experience is what makes you a better actor,” Priebe said. “If you want to do something, there’s a place for you.”