Approach employers at career fair with style, professionalism

Accounting major Jennifer Drahozal speaks with a Target representative during the Business, Industry and Technology career fair on Wednesday, Sept. 25.

Lauren Vigar

Attending the career fair can be a nerve-wracking experience. You are suddenly submerged into a room full of employers, and it can be overwhelming. The career fair can be a vital tool in helping secure internships and jobs in the future.

One of the most important tools needed in order to thrive at the career fair is knowing how to approach employers. First impressions are important because that is all the employer knows about you.

In order to be successful in approaching these employers, you must prepare beforehand. Taren Crow, director of Career Services in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, advises students to do their research. Crow explained that all employers that will be present at the career fair have information on students’ CyHire accounts.

“Get as much information about them as you can,” Crow said. Conducting research on the employer helps show that you are interested and helps you stand out.

Part of doing research includes coming up with questions to ask the employers. You should have questions but also show that you did your research in the way that you present these questions.

The next important step in being prepared is knowing how to present yourself.

Make sure that you bring multiple copies of your resume to hand out and keep them stored in a professional pad folio.

“Students should be prepared that an employer may not take their resume, but it is good to have copies with them,” said Loni Pringnitz, director of Career Services in the College of Human Sciences.

Pringnitz also said that if at all possible, do not bring your backpack into the career fair with you.

Making the approach is one of the scariest parts, but it is also vital to execute it correctly.

“Being comfortable and confident is a big part,” Pringnitz said.

Each college hosts its own career fair prep nights. Pringnitz advises that students attend these to practice scenarios. The more practice, the easier confidence will come off when meeting employers.

Your first approach to an employer is a chance to make yourself stand out. A firm handshake, eye contact and a proper introduction will do the trick.

Pringnitz said that you want to figure out what your 30-second selling point is.

Employers will pay attention to the way you are dressed.

“Wear something conservative and professional, something that is not flashy and won’t take away from what you have to say,” Crow said.

Wearing professional clothes helps you stand out and it helps convey that you are taking the career fair seriously.

Preparing yourself for the career fair is one of the best ways to stand out amongst peers. Making sure you have done research and knowing the right actions are extremely important.