Top 10 study snacks

Lauren Lee

For most college students, snacks are a vital part of every day. Whether it’s a snack between classes, on the bus or during study breaks for sanity of mind and stomach, snacks make life easier and help students get through the day.

While everyone has his or her personal favorite go-to treat as well as a portable backpack snack, these are the top 10 study snacks that seem to be popular among ISU students.

1. Unsurprisingly, popcorn ranks high with college students as a great study snack. It’s fast, easy, portable and doesn’t go bad. It can be made in advance and taken in a backpack or it can be made on the spot and enjoyed. Students find the buttery flavor and saltiness addictive when it comes to study breaks.

2. Granola and protein bars beat out most snacks for portability and efficiency. They can be purchased cheaply in bulk. Prepackaged and ready to go, they’re about as easy as healthy snacks come. Containing high amounts of protein and fiber, they offer a healthy energy boost, making them a great go-to snack when the hunger pains kick in.

3. Having multiple snacks is a popular way to stave off hunger between meals. “I recommend two snacks a day — one between breakfast and lunch and one somewhere between lunch and dinner. If I don’t eat at certain times, my brain fogs and I can’t focus,”  said Deleah Pettie, senior in biochemistry.

4. Candy bars are also a popular choice for study snacks, but they are not always the healthiest. Their portability and energy provision make them a favorite as well their ability to satisfy those with a sweet tooth. They can be a treat for a rough day. For those craving something sweet, they are hard to avoid.

5. Fruity, chewy and cheap, fruit snacks are enjoyed by all ages. Easily stashed and smashed, fruit snacks are fun to eat. With fruity flavors and gummy textures, fruit snacks are often shared with friends.

6. For those who love sweet and salty, trail mix becomes essential. With ingredients ranging from M&Ms and chocolate chips to nuts, Chex cereal, sunflower seeds and raisins, trail mix brings out the creativity of snacks.

7. For those who like studying in their dorm room, yogurt is the perfect size for dorm room refrigerators. Fruit-flavored yogurts make a refreshing break from studying and help meet dairy requirements.

8. Crunchy, salty and spicy, chips of all shapes and sizes are a common love due to their prepackaged “snack” size and availability. Flavors are countless and everyone has his or her favorite.

9. The crackers and cheese combination is a traditional snack that provides balance. Popular for their ability to satisfy hunger in a healthy way, crackers and cheese never get old.

10. Raisins are a healthy snack option, and while they don’t seem like much, they help meet the daily nutrition requirements fruit provides. High in carbohydrates, they provide fast energy as well iron content and fiber for healthy digestion.