Five Memorable Cy-Hawk games

Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt sophomore wide receiver Tad Ecby, redshirt sophomore wide receiver Quenton Bundrage and junior tight end E.J. Bibbs celebrate the first touchdown of the game by Bundrage in the end zone against Iowa on Sept. 14 at Jack Trice Stadium. Bundrage scored all three Cyclone touchdowns but was clearly not enough in the 27-21 loss to in-state rivals.

Beau Berkley

1977: After not playing against each other since 1934, Iowa and No. 19 Iowa State met in Iowa City. The rivalry was ignited when Iowa State showed up to Kinnick Stadium donning jersey’s with “Beat Iowa.” However, the favored Cyclones were upended by the Hawkeyes by a score of 12-10.

1998: From 1982 to 1998, the game wasn’t even a rivalry. Iowa beat Iowa State 15 years in a row, including a 63-20 shellacking in Ames in 1997. But in 1998, Darren Davis broke loose for 244 yards and the Cyclones defeated the Hawkeyes 27-9, ending their 15 year losing streak.

2002: Iowa’s loss in this game was their only one of the regular season before being selected to the Orange Bowl. Seneca Wallace threw for 361 yards and one passing touchdown and one rushing touchdown as the Cyclones won 36-31.

2007: This game will forever be remembered for having a kicker as the most valuable player. Iowa State’s Bret Culbertson hit home a school record five field goals on the day including the winning kick with one second left to give Iowa State the 15-13 victory. 

2011: In 2009 and 2010, the Hawkeyes outscored the Cyclones 70-10. Then, in 2011 in Ames, a quarterback named Steele Jantz took the field and threw 25-of-37 passes for 279 yards and four touchdowns. The Cyclones won on a James White rushing touchdown in a triple overtime thriller.