Students and staff advice for career fairs

Students should abandon their classroom attire for professional clothing that is more suitable for meeting potential employers at the career fair.

Nicki Devilbiss

ISU students will attend career fairs this fall to meet with prospective employers from Land O’Lakes, Inc., Gordmans, PepsiCo and more, according to Iowa State’s website.

While students prepare for the career fairs by editing their resumes and researching companies, some students might be wondering what the appropriate apparel for a career fair might be.

Students are urged by many professionals to abandon their ordinary classroom attire for professional clothing that may be more suitable for meeting employers.

Rex Ju, junior in industrial engineering and a College of Engineering Career Fair co-chairman, recommended simple attire is best for women. He suggested women avoid distracting colors, low-cut tops and “bedazzled” heels. He advised opting for a knee-length skirt or dress pants and close-toed shoes.

“A collared dress shirt, dress pants and dress shoes are appropriate for men,” Ju said.

Meredith Williams, an ISU Business Career Services adviser for the Business, Industry and Technology Career Fair committee, suggested that men wear professional attire such as suits.

Williams said suits in gray or black paired with a shirt in a solid color or subtle stripes are ideal.

While professional attire is preferred, there is room for personal style to shine through.

“I love pearls,” said Sarah Harvieux, senior in supply chain management and president of Iowa State’s Delta Sigma Pi professional business fraternity. “I think they’re elegant and simple and they really embody my style.”

Harvieux said she wore pearls to last year’s career fair. She also said she wore a blue collared shirt to compliment her eyes.

Mary Damhorst, professor of apparel, events and hospitality management, said standing out is something to strive for when attending the career fair.

“That distinction of self might be appealing to some companies,” Damhorst said. “You don’t want to look like you blend into the wallpaper.”

Regardless of students’ personal style, focusing on professionalism in attire is key to dressing successfully at the career fair.

“It is part of an employer’s first impression,” Williams said. “Keeping attire professional will help a candidate be remembered for their qualifications and abilities instead of what they wore.”

Harvieux said she believes that how students present themselves represents the kind of work they do.

“’Unprofessional’ portrays you don’t care or won’t take your job seriously,” Harvieux said about attire. “You have limited time to make an impression, so you have to present it in your appearance.”