Why You Should See RTI’s “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”

Violence breaks out on the set of “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” 

Melissa Garrett

In an incredibly complex plot filled with brilliant language, biting wit and ruthless humor, the Repertory Theater of Iowa’s production of Edward Albee’s “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” promises to captivate and entertain its audience.

The play is set in 1962 and shows how two couples — George and Martha, who lead troubled lives, and Nick and Honey — encounter their own inability to achieve the American dream. This is done through comedic dialogue and ruthless behavior toward one another.

“They’re all wanting that American dream — the house, the successful job,” says Brad Dell, director and assistant professor of music and theater. “The American dream is also about continuing to rise in society and then, of course, [having a family]. When one or more of those things don’t work out, how do we cope?”

As problems between husband and wife escalate and the truth unfolds, it becomes evident that many things, as well as characters in the play, are not what they seem.

“There is a lot in the play about what is real and what is an illusion,” said Shawn Wilson, director of marketing for the Repertory Theater of Iowa. “And a lot of that comes from George and Martha. They play these humiliating games, almost improvising what their life is like.”

RTI’s production of  “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” contrasts the rules of relationships and marriage with crushed dreams as the audience sees what happens when characters have to deal with disappointment, boredom and the hurtful truth in their lives.

“It’s an incredibly compelling story [and] we’ve brought out a lot of comedy that exists in the play,” Dell said. “We all have relationships in our lives, whether they’re romantic ones or not, and there are frequently these arbitrary rules to how our relationships are supposed to work.”

“Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” is most relatable to adults, who can appreciate the struggles and obstacles that the characters encounter throughout the play. Dealing with real life problems, the play is uncomfortably funny, according to Wilson.

“Nobody really comes out of this unscathed … The American dream doesn’t always come true for everybody,” Wilson said. “This is what happens when all your dreams are crushed. Truths get told and that’s when people get really hurt.”

“The play is about dealing with disappointment and boredom in life and how we wrestle with having major setbacks in our lives and how do we deal with those setbacks,” Dell said. “I think everybody can relate to that.”

The lineup for this weekend’s final performances is as follows:

7:30 p.m. Sept. 25

7:30 p.m. Sept. 26

7:30 p.m. Sept. 27

2 p.m. Sept. 28 

All performances will be at the Kum & Go Theater at the Des Moines Social Club in Des Moines. For all four performances, the Repertory Theater of Iowa is offering $10 rush tickets for students who show their student ID cards at the door. Advance ticket prices are $15 for students, $22 for seniors — age 62 and older — and $30 for adults.

For more information on “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” and additional ticket information, visit the Repertory Theater of Iowa’s website at http://rtiowa.com/ and the “RTI  Presents: Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” Facebook page.