ISU volleyball limits injuries, preps bench

Hayley Hochstetler/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt freshman middle blocker Natalie Vondrak prepares to serve the ball during the game against Northern Iowa on Wednesday, Sept. 4, in Cedar Falls. Vondrak had 5 spikes, 8 kills and 5 digs to contribute to the Cyclone’s 3-2 victory against the Panthers. The Cyclones now have a winning streak of 4-0.

Max Dible

Through its first nine matches, the ISU volleyball team has dodged many catastrophic injuries, but that does not mean its lineup has been exempt from some significant bumps and bruises.

Senior outside hitter Victoria Hurtt and redshirt freshman middle blocker Samara West headline Iowa State’s injury concerns as a match with in-state rival Northern Iowa comes Sept. 24 and the daunting Big 12 schedule looms over the weekend.

Hurtt did not disclose the exact nature of her injury, but she has been wearing a boot on her right foot for two weeks. West continues to recover from a knee scope performed in late July and a nagging problem with her left Achilles.

“We are fighting a couple injuries but … nothing major,” said ISU coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. “We will just try to rest [injured players] as much as we can and get them ready for [Sept. 24].”

The fortunate news for Iowa State is that its talented bench provides a depth of options that Johnson-Lynch said is not common anywhere throughout the sport. 

“There are not many teams, even in the country I think, who are capable of bringing someone in off the bench to have a big night,” Johnson-Lynch said. “If someone has an off night or someone gets hurt and you do not have that person…it could cost you. It could cost you a set. It could cost you a match.”

Johnson-Lynch has reiterated throughout the season that her team’s depth is one of its greatest advantages — an assertion that has proven true in recent matches as redshirt sophomores Morgan Kuhrt and Natalie Vondrak have stepped in effectively for Hurtt and West.

“Every game you have to prepare and be ready to play,” Vondrak said. “I could be thrown in as outside [hitter] or middle [blocker] or right side [hitter], so it is just that mental preparedness.”

Despite being hampered, Johnson-Lynch said that West and Hurtt should be able to go. Both frontline players said they are determined to do just that.

“The team comes first, so anything I’ve got to do to help the team win, I will do,” Hurtt said.

West shared a similar resolve, citing a responsibility to her teammates, which she said empowered her to fight through the pain and make two huge plays down the stretch of a crucial first set for the Cyclones on Sept. 20 against Iowa.

“Sometimes you just have to suck it up,” West said. “My Achilles was really sore, but right now I am going to do whatever I have to do.”

While both West and Hurtt are expected to play, Johnson-Lynch said that they may be limited.

Because of that, Iowa State’s bench players, who have already gained experience during big matches earlier in the season, may play a big role in a tough atmosphere inside the McLeod Center.

The injuries could potentially sharpen Iowa State’s focus and help combat any tendencies to overlook Northern Iowa in favor of the Big 12 opener against TCU on Sept. 27.

Overlooking Northern Iowa is not something Iowa State can afford, as the Panthers pushed the Cyclones to the limit last season in Cedar Falls by forcing Iowa State to play the maximum five sets before ultimately claiming victory.

“[Our players] know there will probably be 6 or 7,000 people in the stands and especially the upperclassmen know what to expect,” Johnson-Lynch said. “I think they will set the example and they will be ready to go.”

The first serve is set for 7 p.m. Sept. 24 at the McLeod Center in Cedar Falls.