Parking on campus

Saige Heyer

Parking on Iowa State’s campus is scarce, especially compared to the number of students that bring their vehicles with them.

Here is some insight to where to park on campus.

Metered spots – On campus

Metered spots on campus can be paid for with coins or a Smart Card.

A Smart Card is a prepaid card you can get at the Parking Division office and use at the prepay meters in Lots 21 and 100, the East Parking Deck and any designated parking meters which have a Smart Card label on them.

Be sure to read the green sticker on the meter’s post. Some say you have to pay all day every day, whereas other meters you only have to pay for during certain times.

Commuter Lots

People who live off campus can park at the commuter lot between Hilton Coliseum and Jack Trice Stadium for free. Then they can ride the 23 Orange bus route into campus or out to Veterinary Medicine.

It is free to park, but vehicles cannot be left overnight. There is also no parking in the commuter lots during football games in the fall.

Student lots

Students can purchase a permit for the parking lot at their residence hall.

There are a limited number of spots so permits are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Faculty and staff lots

Faculty and staff lots are located all across campus and require a permit during certain hours. Outside of these hours, which are typically 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., anyone can park in these lots.

Parking permits

Parking permits for university lots can be purchased through AccessPlus or at the parking division office in the Armory.

Permits for fall 2014 semester are on sale as of 7 a.m. July 15.

The cost of a permit depends on which lot you are purchasing a permit for and whether you’re purchasing it for just a semester or for the entire school year.

Parking tickets

If you receive a parking ticket on campus, you can pay it at the Armory or mail your payment in.

The cost of the ticket depends on where you park. Tickets on campus can range anywhere from $5 to $200. For a complete list of fines on campus, visit the parking division’s website.

For complete information regarding permits, where to park and how much specific parking fines are, visit www.parking.iastate.edu.