Letter to the editor: ‘Ineffectual’ leadership trivializes GSB judicial branch

This is the public resignation of all nine justices and the adviser of the judicial branch. Given the fact that this is the unanimous decision of all the justices and our faculty adviser, it is also the per curiam decision of the Court. The decision is this: actions of a few senators, and the incompetence of the executive, have rendered the Senate impotent, the executive ineffectual, and reduced the judicial branch to nothing more than a mere club.

We apologize to former Senator Barry Snell, and thank him for his efforts. Additionally, we owe special thanks to all the senators who supported us, specifically: Nathan Vos, Zach Bauer, Ian Marlenee, Speaker Gabriel Walsh and Treasurer Michael Belding. It is unfortunate that the few senators, out of sheer inflexibility, have obstructed the judicial system. The Court has been left with no alternatives, and cannot advocate for what GSB has become. Collectively, the resigning justices have served more than 25 years in the student body. During our tenure, we never thought such mismanagement of the students’ government was possible.

Any ability of the Government of the Student Body to function has been hindered by the pontification of single-minded senators. Two million dollars is allocated each year to private interests. Student tuition is being spent in a grand pseudo-event, a distraction draped over the larger issues that have a significant effect on the student body. Real issues are never raised, and will never be raised, as long as GSB continues its static patterns. As the Court, we tried desperately to fix these issues, but such attempts proved impossible in the existing system. We hope the futility of GSB will become evident, and that students will take action to remedy these problems. 

I have read and agree in whole with the statements above:

Former Chief Justice Caytlin Hentzel

Former Chief Justice Pro Tempore Jonathan Sukup

Former Justice Ryan Peterson

Former Justice Katie Geneser

Former Justice David Fountain 

Former Justice Amanda Luketich

Former Justice Tayler Carter

Former Justice Carter Collins 

Former Justice Dylan Camp

Adviser Dr. Kathleen M. Waggoner, J.D.