Middle schoolers came to campus for Middle School Day

Justin Lo

Middle school students around Ames came to campus yesterday to learn about what Iowa State has to offer. Eighty students from schools in Gilbert, Des Moines and Boone participated in Veishea’s annual Middle School Day.

The students picked a “major” and attended two sessions based on their choice. The “majors” the students had to choose from were: Music, Liberal Arts and Sciences, Environmental Science, Organism Science, Futuristic Science and Engineering.

For example, students who chose the Futuristic Science “major” got to see a mining robot and a BioBus. Students in the Music “major” got to see the carillon at the top of the Campanile and learn about the physics of music.

Anatoli Frishman, a lecturer in the Physics and Astronomy departments, did many physics experiments, such as the effects of liquid nitrogen on balloons and demonstrating Newton’s cradle, for the group of students that came to his session.

Addison Kistler, one of the two Veishea Campus & Community Involvement Chairs, said the purpose of Middle School Day is to show these students what Iowa State has to offer to them and show them around campus during Veishea. “The kids got to actually choose which major they wanted,” Kistler said.

Last night’s incident did nothing to change the plans of anyone who was registered for the event.

Sarah Azam, the other Veishea Campus & Community Involvement Chair, said that everyone who registered for Middle School Day did show up. “We had all of our schools show up,” Azam said.

The day started in the morning with Sophia Miguel, Iowa State’s federal lobbyist, speaking to the students before they went to their first session. After everyone’s first session, the students got to enjoy the food being served on Central Campus for lunch.

Throughout the day, the students got to enjoy a campus tour, a visit from Veishea mascot Swanson and games set up on Central Campus. All the students did a breakout session according to the “major” they chose before the day concluded with a closing ceremony.