AfterDark prepares last event of year April 4

Nicole Presley

The behind-the-scenes work for ISU AfterDark takes quite a bit of planning in advance.

The dates for AfterDark are determined by the AfterDark committee the previous semester. Dates are determined for the actual event and then it’s a matter of finding entertainment, performers, co-sponsors and reserving rooms.

“A month ahead of time I have to go in and make sure [reservations are made]. We have to fill out all these forms and the actual staff here will set up the rooms for us,” said Samantha McPherson, president of the AfterDark committee. “Then we come in a few hours before the event and put in all the props, we make sure everything is set up correctly.”

Setting up AfterDark takes about one-and-a-half to two hours.

“I usually greet people as they arrive to the event and help them find where everything is located and then I jump in wherever a volunteer is needed,” said Ryan Collins, the public relations co-director on the AfterDark committee. 

This entertainers coming to AfterDark are Kazual, an a appella group, and Big Black. Kazual has been on America’s Got Talent. Big Black has been on TV shows such as “Rob & Big,” “Ridiculousness” and “Fantasy Factory.”

Kazual performs at 9 p.m. in the Great Hall and Big Black will perform at 11 p.m. April 4 in the Great Hall. 

Other rooms in the Memorial Union will hold these activities:

Movie bingo from 9 p.m. until 12:45 a.m. in the Sun Ballroom.

Star Wars Trivia in the Campanile Room

Green Screen photos from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. in the Cardinal room.

Bowling and Billiards in the Memorial Union Underground

Workspace Craft in Terrariums

French Fry bar at 10:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union commons. 

Karaoke in the Maintenance Shop

Events not listed with specific times are available for the entire event.

“The last event of the year is always my favorite event because of its size,” Collins said. “Our last event of the year is always the largest. We have a lot of co-sponsors that are looking to get involved on campus, and a lot of students come because it is free and money is always tight towards the end of the year.”

ISU’s last AfterDark is held from 9 p.m. until 1 a.m. April 4 in the Memorial Union. The event is free to ISU students.