Top 10 things to do at Veishea

Lindsey Wanninger

Although Veishea is earlier than normal this year, there are plenty of things students, alumni and guests could do throughout the week of Veishea.

Mikayla O’Brien, executive co-chairwoman of the entertainment committee, and her fellow executive board members compiled a list of the top 10 things to do at Veishea.

1. Campus cookouts

For the week of April 7, students and faculty can purchase a button for $5. This will give them access to food on Central Campus.

2. Cyclone Idol and other student performances

In order to compete in Cyclone Idol, you must be an ISU student who is in good standing. This year, Kristian Bush, a member of the country duo Sugarland, will host the event.

The preliminaries are at 6 p.m. Monday at the Maintenance Shop in the Memorial Union. The finals will be at 7 p.m. April 10 at the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

3. Live @ Veishea

Live @ Veishea will take place April 11 and 12 at the Molecular Biology parking lot. The gates will open at 5:30 p.m. The concert begins at 6 p.m. and ends at 2 a.m.

Tickets are available for ISU students with a valid ISU ID. The cost for a ticket is $20 for one night or $25 for both nights. This offer is only valid until April 11, and then tickets will be $25 per ticket, per night.

4. Magician Justin Willman and other performers

Justin Willman is a magician, actor, comedian and TV personality. You may recognize him from hosting Cupcake Wars on the Food Network or appearing on Ellen a few times.

You can see Willman for free at 11 p.m. April 12 at the Great Hall in the Memorial Union.

5. Parade

The 92nd Veishea Parade will be on Central Campus starting at 10:30 a.m. Make sure to get there a little early to get a good spot.

6. Stars Over Veishea

This year, Stars Over Veishea will take place at Fisher Theater. Music Theatre International will present the music for the production “Into the Woods.” Tickets are available at the Iowa State Center ticket office.

Show dates are:

7: 30 p.m. April 11

7:30 p.m. April 12

2 p.m. April 13

7. Taste of Veishea and pancake feed

The Taste of Veishea will be from 5 p.m. to 3 a.m. April 11 to 12 on Union Drive near Lake LaVerne.

The pancake feed will be from 11:55 p.m. to 3 a.m. April 11 to 12 from on Central Campus.

8. Veishea Cherry Pie Scholarship Run and other tournaments

This is a new event for 2014. The run will begin at 8 a.m. April 12 with check in at 7:30 a.m. The race is a 5K that will run through campus and costs $20 per person.

9. Veishea Village

Veishea Village will be from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 12 on Central Campus. There will be events all over campus for everyone to enjoy.

10. Veishea classics

There are a few things that happen at Veishea every year such as cherry pies at MacKay Hall and homemade ice cream at Kildee Hall.

Other performances with locations and times are listed in the schedule of events for Veishea.