Engineering students start rain gardening

Senior Sarah Maslo begins planting flowers for the rain garden located next to Music Hall on April 26.

Kennedy Mason

The space between Carver and Music Hall gained some color Friday as members of the Engineers for a Sustainable World Club planted flowers and other plants in a rain garden.

“The club is focused on sustainable engineering projects and sustainable things around campus. That is really our main goal,” said Noah Bergman, president of the club and junior in electrical engineering. 

The rain garden is being run by Christina Larranaga, senior in civil engineering and the project adviser.

“If you are over between Carver and Music when it is raining, you might notice the big puddle that accumulates in the corner,” Bergman said.

This is problem is what Larranaga wants to fix.

“We have been working on [this project] for two years, trying to find a location and getting everything in place,” Larranaga said.

“The point of the rain garden, or rain gardens in general, is to take an area that usually gets a lot of standing water and incorporate native plants,” Larranaga said. “Here we are only going to put in native Iowa plants.”

Some of the plants include blue lobelia, black-eyed Susan and goat’s beard, Larranaga said.

“The plants have really long root systems, so it will take the water and bring it down into the water table underground,” Larranaga said. “The plants will naturally filter the water and take it into the ground instead of it running off and going into the sewer system.”

Larranaga said that it is important to her because it is a project that all engineers in different fields can come together to work on. It is not just for the university but also the community.

There will be a sign by the garden to educate everyone about rain gardens and what they are, Larranaga said. She said the garden will hopefully leave a lasting impression on students and staff that walk by it every day.

“It also raises awareness about sustainable projects that people can do because this is something they can do at home in their yards,” Larranaga said.

“It increases the beauty to the campus,” said Natalie Williams, the marketing director of the club.

The club has had a lot of help with funding such a big project. Campus services have been very helpful and donated funds that went towards the digging of the space, Larranaga said.

“We do volunteer at the composting site,” said Larranaga. “So we raise money that way because they donate money to us when we volunteer.”

Working on the project is really good practice, Larranaga said. It’s working towards something that is sustainable and will look good in the end.

“The rain garden also applies what we learned at Iowa State and in all the classes we have taken. It’s a hands on experience and not just writing a paper,” Larranaga said.

“This project has opened big doors for all of us.”