Financial Counseling Clinic gets new funding

Kyle Schlichitng/Iowa State Dail

Spencer Hughes and Abhijit Patwa discuss the role that the Government of the Student Body will play in Financial Counseling Services in the next academic year. The meeting took place at the Multicultural Center on April 1 in the Memorial Union.

Kelsey Batschelet

Representatives from the Financial Counseling Clinic attended Wednesday’s GSB meeting to present and clarify their stance on the veto made by Spencer Hughes, the Government of the Student Body president, on their funds request.

During the open forum session of the GSB senate meeting Hughes addressed the issue of the Clinic’s funding and clarified his decision to veto their funds request for fiscal year 2015.

“I’m happy to come to you with some good news,” Hughes said.

Hughes went on to describe the agreement that he arrived to with Jonathan Fox, the financial counseling clinic director, and Dr. Thomas Hill, senior vice president for student affairs about the clinic’s future.

The financial counseling clinic will no longer be funded by GSB, but financial counseling services will be continuously offered on campus through the Office of Student Affairs.

Following Hughes’ remarks Jonathan Fox spoke on the merits of the clinic and the decision to transition the clinic out of the human development and family services department and into the Office of Student Affairs.

“What we really want to make sure we are involved in is the transition, so that it’s as good as it can possibly be,” Fox said.

The clinic provided statistics on appointments and students served gathered from their data that corrected previous numbers provided by Hughes during the informational sessions held on March 31, April 1 and April 2.

“He didn’t have our data,” Fox said.

The statistics provided by the clinic showed that 211 counseling appointments have been requested in 2014, refuting Hughes’ estimations, based on calculations that correlated with his data, that 154 appointments would be held by the clinic in 2014.

“We were misrepresented,” Kelly Carnine, a financial counselor at the clinic, said.

Fox also emphasized that the services provided by the clinic were professional. He said that students have the option of meeting with a professional counselor or a trained graduate student for peer-based counseling.

“We’re a serious service, a clinical service,” Fox said.

This year 19 appointments at the clinic have been conducted through the peer-based method.

Carnine addressed the senate following Fox’s presentation and thanked them for their support.

Hill and Fox then answered questions posed by senators regarding the details of the plan to transition the clinic and the services it currently provides. Hill said that the clinic provides a valuable service to the Iowa State community.

“It’s an expanded opportunity to serve more students,” Hill said in regards to the clinic’s transition.

The senate held a vote to uphold or overturn the veto after the presentation and discussion. The veto was upheld at 24 to 5.

The Financial Counseling Clinic, located at 4380 in the Palmer Building on campus, will continue to provide services through June 30, 2014.