Students meet state legislators at Iowa Capitol

ISU President Steven Leath and GSB President Hillary Kletscher met with Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad at the Iowa Capitol on April 10, 2015.

Courtesy of Hillary Kletscher

Varad Diwate

Iowa State presented its programs, outreach and student initiatives to state legislators at the Capitol on April 10.

The event included more than 20 exhibits from different colleges, departments, academic research and extension units. Students, faculty and staff from all seven colleges met with legislators at the rotunda from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Hillary Kletscher, Government of the Student Body president, said some of the key issues discussed included opportunities for the university with record enrollment, keeping graduating students in Iowa and continuing support for the in-state tuition freeze.

She said it is also an opportunity to share student perspectives and talk about the ISU experience.

“It’s not just about student activities and what they are doing. It’s much more detailed and involved beyond the things that are just apparent at the surface,” said Makenzie Heddens, special projects assistant at the office of the president.

Heddens said the event is also a way to increase the presence of Iowa State at the state level.

“A great public university like Iowa State serves a tremendous purpose in society, and we want to make sure that message is loud and clear with legislators,” President Steven Leath said in a statement.

Leath said the university has an obligation to engage with elected officials, so it is important that officials receive comprehensive and efficient information from the university.  Leath said this would leave “no doubt in their minds that ISU is working to provide a better future for Iowans.”

Apart from ISU Day, ISU Ambassadors from GSB represent the university at the capitol through one-on-one meetings with legislators.

“It’s a showcase of our university at the Capitol. We have some programs that are really doing outstanding work that is recognized at the national level,” Kletscher said. “We need to show them why the state’s tax dollars are worth it to invest in higher education, specifically for the students in the state of Iowa.”

Heddens said the event was initiated last year when the university got a new president and state relations officer.

“We had legislators come down and learn more about what’s going on at the university, Heddens said. “It’s really a way for the legislators to get to know the university and how the university serves the state and specifically their district.”

The other two regents universities, University of Northern Iowa and University of Iowa, will also have their presentation days at the capitol.