Maxwell:Spring Break is not meant for fun

Alexander Maxwell

Spring Break has started once again, and unfortunately many college students are mistakenly spending this time on things other than coursework. Tragically, these students somehow fail to realize that this break is not meant as a time for recreation, but is intended to be a time to focus on ensuring we do well in our classes for the remainder of the semester.

A large number of college students act as if this time is meant as a kind of mini vacation, including taking trips to areas where the weather is more pleasant than where they go to school. Disappointingly, many times these destinations are not great places to study due to an abnormally large number of distractions. Experienced students are actually aware of this and do not even attempt to bring class material along on their trips. Instead, books and papers are left behind for swimsuits and condoms, and having fun is prioritized over trying to be a useful human being.

Thinking of this time as a vacation is a mistake. Why should we be rewarded with a week free from responsibility? It may be true that a few students have truly been working hard so far this semester, but that is no reason to stop for so long in the middle of the term. If anything, this is the perfect time to keep on working hard, because this week liberates us from the distractions of classes.

Realistically, it makes no sense to think that any free time would ever be given to us on purpose. The number one thing college students have too much of is free time. Additionally, while we are in college we have a lot less responsibility than real adults, and our time commitments are practically non-existent. In general college students are under-stressed and lazy. This is a large reason why Spring Break was created – to give a break to faculty and staff from having to deal with such incompetent young adults. It is our job to continue to respect our teachers by making sure that we are learning as much as possible.The only point at which students should ever be rewarded with their own free time is once they have graduated. It is at that time when students finally become productive and respectful.

Just because we are not required to attend classes and many offices are closed this week does not mean that we should also be taking this time off. It is vital that people who are actively attending college prioritize being a student over all other things. Do not make the mistake of forgetting that college is meant to turn us into adults, and a large part of becoming an adult is realizing that we do not get to take time off or have fun without earning it.