One more time: Seniors prepare for last regular season game at Hilton

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Senior Hallie Christofferosn makes her way to the basket during the game against Cal-State Fullerton on Sunday, Dec. 8 at Hilton Coliseum. Christofferson scored a career-high of 33 points against the Titans.

Dylan Montz

Every season, Iowa State women’s basketball coach Bill Fennelly says the same thing to his freshmen.

He looks toward the seniors and says to the freshmen, ‘Someday, you’re going to be where they are.’ And while at the time, those underclassmen might feel like they have all the time in the world until they are seniors, it wasn’t all that long ago that Fennelly remembers bringing Hallie Christofferson, Elly Arganbright and Ashley Hagedorn into the program.

The trio will be suiting up for Iowa State in their last regular season game when the Cyclones take on Baylor on Tuesday at Hilton Coliseum.

“It does go fast. The older I get, the faster it goes,” Fennelly said. “I remember going to see Hallie play the night she scored her 2,000th point and I took my wife. We went out to dinner afterwards and we were like, ‘Wow, she’s going to be a really good player and a fun kid.’ All of a sudden it’s senior night.”

What comes to Fennelly’s mind right away when thinking about the seniors is the backgrounds that connect them all. All three players are from small towns in Iowa, have represented themselves and the program to Fennelly’s standard and even share an apartment in Ames.

The bond forged by the seniors this season is one that translates other places besides the basketball court.

“We talk to each other about anything and everything,” Christofferson said. “If somebody needs something, they’re a bedroom away so it’s nice to be able to have them supporting you anytime.”

Freshman guard Jadda Buckley has been able to take part in the bonding, as well. Sometimes for her, it was the little things the seniors did to help her out that has given her the freshman experience she’s had.

“They’re all great role models whether it’s in the classroom or on the court or just being a friend on the bus,” Buckley said. “It’s been such a great time being able to bond. Even as a freshman, there’s that age difference, but for us, we have been able to really bond with the seniors which is nice.”

After experiencing some highs and lows this season — with a 14-0 start and then four home losses — Iowa State has found its identity again. The Cyclones have rattled off three-straight wins, with the last two coming on the road.

For its last regular season matchup, the No. 9 Lady Bears will be waiting for the 7 p.m. tip. After losing to Baylor earlier this season, Iowa State has to find a way to slow down its talented opponent and try not to think about how time seemed to move so fast.

“When things are really good in your life, a lot of things go quickly and those kids have been really good,” Fennelly said with emotion. “It does go quick. But it’s been fun, they’re great people and hopefully there’s still a little basketball left in them and some more memories to make and stories to tell that they’ll tell their family and friends for a long, long time.”