Gamma Rho Lambda petitions to become an official chapter

Jake Miller/ Iowa State Daily

Members of Iowa State’s new LGBT Gamma Rho Lambda chapter: Senior Melanie Pope, left, junior Emily Nguyen, freshman Allison Kayser, senior Kathy, senior Sarah Miller, sophomore Jess Gookin and senior Tonya Dunsmoor. 

Madisun Vangundy

The LGBT sorority, Gamma Rho Lambda, is working toward transitioning from being a colony to an official chapter at Iowa State.

“We’re petitioning to become a chapter right now, and that’s due at the end of this month,” said Sarah Miller, president of Gamma Rho Lambda.

Amy Franklin, mentor for Iowa State, said Gamma Rho Lambda is in a probation period where they have to retain members, become self-sustainable financially, socially and academically, become affiliated with their university greek system and establish a visible position on campus so that they can become successful.

“GRL has been referred to as the first national lesbian sorority, however they strive to be inclusive of all members, whether they identify as lesbian, bisexual, ally, transgender, question, straight or with no label,” according to the GRL national website.

As a national sorority, Gamma Rho Lambda has 13 chapters and 3 colonies across the United States.

Each semester, Gamma Rho Lambda also does a service event and a fundraising event. Last semester, members wrote letters to an LGBTQ Youth Shelter in New York City.

Alex Moore, Gamma Rho Lambda member and sophomore in interdisciplinary studies said the shelter is a place for people who have been kicked out of their home after coming out.

“It was really hard to think that these people don’t have homes just because of who they are,” said Jacqueline Horsfall, member of Gamma Rho Lambda and sophomore in communication studies.

Members wrote the letters for five hours, and then sent them to the director of the facility.

“Service is an important part of our mission,” said Miller.

Moore said her goals for Gamma Rho Lambda are to get recognized on campus and spread LGBT awareness.

“[Gamma Rho Lambda] created a safe space for many of their members to come out, explore their own identities and give back to both Iowa State and the LGBTQ community,” Franklin said.

Nationally, Gamma Rho Lambda is working toward expansion and branding their name. The first Gamma Rho Lambda sorority was founded in 2003 at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona.

Being inclusive of everyone as well as providing education of LGBT issues are the two main goals of the sorority, Miller said.

Moore said the best part of being in the sorority is always having people there who completely understand her for who she is.

All members of Gamma Rho Lambda will be officially initiated together on April 19th. Brad Freihoefer, LGBT student services coordinator, said Gamma Rho Lambda has an impressive group of people who have a lot of courage and dedication.

“Even though they’ve only been around for such a short time, the Iowa State colony has built a strong foundation and vision for their members,” Franklin said. “I know they’ll continue to be a successful chapter on Iowa State’s campus.”