Registrar discusses registration, student fees with GSB

William Dyke

University Registrar Laura Doering addressed the Government of the Student Body Senate on Wednesday, speaking extensively on student transcript and graduation fees and student satisfaction.

While the Office of the Registrar carries out a number of duties for the campus, from residency to the veteran’s center, the bulk of the discussion focused on how to improve student accessibility and convenience for registration, class adds/drops and graduation opportunities.

Doering named several plans for improvement based on comments from the 2013 Student Satisfaction Survey, one of which was a mobile site for commencement opportunities, which garnered a large number of hits.

“There’s so many commencement opportunities,” Doering explained. “We are doing a lot of improvements to our systems for our graduating seniors, from online graduation applications to online status checks.”

Doering did stress that it was important that students communicate with the office to let them know what they can do to make students’ lives easier.

One of the largest suggestions that has been brought to the office’s attention has been the extension of online class add/drop deadlines. Doering did say that the Office of the Registrar was in communication with advisers and professors on this issue, citing that many professors like to be able to talk to students and make sure they are not dropping the class prematurely.

“That faculty conversation is absolutely critical,” Doering said.

Sen. Nathan Vos was curious as to what the original intent of the add/drop limit and fee was, especially prior to the online resources. Doering said that the fee and limit had both practical and behavioral reasons.

“The process and fee were put into place to help the students really think about registering for the right number of credits,” Doering explained. “That’s why we have a drop limit. That speaks to students to avoid over-registering for classes, incurring more debt, course availability, seat management, debt management — being sure they’re having those conversations with their advisers in advance.”

Doering really stressed the importance of the student-faculty conversation that should take place, rather than simply writing off a class.

In an interview following the presentation, Doering went into further detail regarding other fee issues, especially in regards to transcripts and graduation.

“It’s really the concept of bundling fees,” Doering said. “I don’t know if it’s going to be easier. Determining the fee amount will be incredibly challenging.”

Doering says the biggest issue will be predicting student behavior in regards to per-semester fees versus one-time flat fees and how much students will or will not take advantage of the system based on this fee. Additionally, PDF transcripts are also being developed as an additional, secure service.

Doering also cited other plans for the next year, discussing improvements for a Grad Activity Reservation System, making graduation commencement more fun and the Veteran’s Center.