Hospitality management receives spot in top 25 programs in nation

Photo Courtesy of Cathy Curtis

Iowa State University alumna and entrepreneur Kayce Carter judges hospitality students’ business start-up ideas, as part of the tenth annual Entrepreneurship Showcase, May 2, 2013, in MacKay Hall. Iowa State’s hospitality management program has been cited among the best 25 worldwide by createacareer.org. 

Kassidy Kilcoyne

Iowa State’s hospitality management program in the apparel, educational studies and hospitality management department is in the top 25 programs in the nation, according to CreateACareer.org.

Create a Career is a resource that helps professionals and students make informed career choices and also provides information about education, salary and employment growth.

“Based on our review, we easily included the Iowa State University hospitality program in our list of the best hospitality programs,” said Brian Rudin, managing editor of Create a Career.

The top 25 schools were picked from an assortment of factors, including ranking, reputation, classes offered, academic quality and internship opportunities and facilities.

Some of the programs that caught Create a Career’s attention included, but were not limited to, undergraduate hospitality management degree, hospitality management master of science, non-thesis master science with specialty in hospitality management, hospitality management doctor of philosophy and hospitality management distance doctor of philosophy.

According to Create a Career, Iowa State received most of its recognition from its available research and dining facilities. The hospitality management program also received accreditation from the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Management.

The ranking of the hospitality program did not surprise Pamela White, dean of the College of Human Sciences.

“We have been ranked many times for our programs because of our faculty and students,” White said. “We even were ranked number 15 out of 100 for best hospitality tourism.”

Iowa State’s hospitality management program has been around for decades, and the program at Iowa State keeps making firsthand experiences available, while also many jobs for graduating students. Iowa State is also the only school in Iowa for students to obtain a bachelor’s degree in the program.

“Our hospitality program has been around for such a long time that we have had room to grow,” White said. “Many reasons why students get such a great program here is because of the learning love on campus. The students are able to learn firsthand.”

Iowa State also requires each student within the hospitality management program to complete some sort of internship before his or her graduation.

White said internships give students a good learning experience and a better understanding of their field of study. They also open doors to future jobs.

Hospitality management students have interned all the way from Disney World to hotels in Las Vegas.

Food service, recreation, conventions and tourism are just a few facets of the hospitality management program at Iowa State. There are hundreds of students on campus in the hospitality program today and White is a main supporter for the program to keep growing.

“I just want everyone to know that there are plenty more opportunities for students and that we are certainly not sold out,” White said.