Group Workouts

Erin Sickels and Dana Jacobsen lead a kickboxing class at State Gym on Jan. 22. This is one of the many group fitness classes offered free to students through the ISU Recreation program. Other classes include yoga, pilates and Zumba.

Claire Kirk

As spring break quickly approaches, students’ head to the nearest Rec Center to get their beach ready bodies. Some of these gym goers attend weekly group workouts provided by both State Gym and Lied Rec Center.

Classes can range from kickboxing, a high intensity class involving kicking and punching movements, to Piloxing, a mix of Pilates, boxing, and dance. Each instructor is required to complete training and is qualified to coach any level of participant. All Group workout schedules and class descriptions are accessible on the Iowa State University’s Recreation Services page online.

Laura Talken, a former Piloxing instructor at State Gym, says that “Exercise is a great form of stress relief and group fitness is a great way to change up your normal workout and make some new friends!” Talken’s greatest reward she says is, “When a student comes up to me, drenched in sweat, and tells me how much their abs hurt.” Any of the many workout classes are sure to get your blood flowing. Most classes have around 15 students ranging from beginners to advanced students. Anyone is welcome to participate and all group workouts are free to Iowa State students and facility. Next time you want to change up your workout, try something new by joining a variety of different group workout classes and State Gym or Lied Rec Center.