Cappaert tied for hitting streak record at Iowa State

Rachel Anderson

The ISU softball team has started the season off strong with an 8-1 record.

The scoring has been consistent this year between all the players in the lineup. Although it is a team win and a team effort there are always standout players.

ISU coach Stacy Gemeinhardt-Cesler said sophomore infielder Aly Cappaert is a gifted player.

Cappaert is tied with a school record of the longest hitting streak of 15 hits. She is tied with Erin Woods [1999 season] and Erica Miller [2012 campaign]. Cappaert played with Miller last season and said she is a role model for herself in the game of softball.

“Erica Miller is an awesome hitter,” Cappaert said.

Cappaert learned a lot from Miller and has clearly taken into consideration this season. Starting this season Cappaert has shown she is trying to emerge as a star player.

Gemeinhardt-Cesler believes that Cappaert will have no problem breaking this hitting streak record this year as only a sophomore.

“She has the potential to break every power number that’s out there,” Gemeinhardt-Cesler said. “She has a great chance if really crushing them.”

Gemeinhardt-Cesler is referring to homeruns, RBIs and slugging. She said Cappaert has gained growth in consistency from last season as a freshman to this year as a sophomore.

Cappaert agrees that she has grown individually as a player. She said freshman year she was just trying learning the pitches and everything about college softball. This year she has an entire different outlook on the game. She is ready for all the pitches thrown at her.

“I’m going in this year with a lot more confidence,” Cappaert said.

Cappaert hit two homeruns bringing in two runs each time this weekend. Gemeinhardt-Cesler said that Cappaert has a great ability to hit to a lot of different spots on the field to benefit the team as a whole.

Cappaert tries not to think while she’s at bat. She said she just sees where all of her teammates are on base and just focuses on what she has to do for the team.

“She’s going to will herself to be successful,” Gemeinhardt-Cesler said.