Length of AESHM degree program changes

Emily Hecht/Iowa State Daily

The Apparel, Events, and Hospitality Management (AESHM) degree program cut by one year from six to five years to accommodate students who wish to receive their masters as well as their bachelors. The new requirements are more beneficial to early students as they can be more prepared.

Lauren Sroubek

Graduating in four years is often a concern for students. The apparel, events and hospitality management department (AESHM) is now offering a new degree program that allows students to graduate with both a bachelor’s and master’s degree within five years.

The program allows students to use college credit earned in high school to apply toward earning both degrees. In the fourth year, students would begin to work on their master’s coursework with a mix of their unfinished undergraduate work.

Ann-Marie Fiore, the director of graduate education in apparel, events and hospitality management said, “This program came about because advisers noticed that a significant number of students [who came to] ISU stayed for four or more years to complete a [bachelor’s], and then try to work on their [master’s].”

This program also allows AESHM students to do half-time assistantships. As students enter their senior years, they would also work with graduate professors and add graduate courses to their schedules, and also form a program of study committee or earn a tuition scholarship.

Students who enroll in this program are also required to take the Graduate Record Examination or Graduate Management Admission Test. The GRE is a general test that measures students’ verbal and quantitative reasoning, as well as analytical writing. Students interested in pursuing a master’s degree are required to take this test.

Because this is an option now available to students, it is more beneficial for them to join the program early so they do not encounter any obstacles or setbacks in their college careers.

Fiore believes that students will get more out of their education and complete their courses in a timely fashion by fulfilling two degrees, rather than finishing one degree and then the second.

“Students will broaden their analytical, technical, creative and/or research skills in the graduate program,” Fiore explained.

Along with the concurrent degrees, the AESHM department is now introducing a hybrid program. This program includes doctorate students who are working professionals from the United States, as well as other countries, such as South Africa.

This program is described as “one-of-a-kind,” permitting students to earn advanced degrees in a shorter amount of time. Students are expected to come to Ames for two to three weeks during each of the first two summers and finish coursework online. This program includes students who are industry professionals.

Fiore said that the AESHM department was mainly focusing on the students’ convenience when they created this program by giving them the option to complete two degrees, and having an advantage in the job market for many positions in the industry.