Students return from Fall Break, feel stress of finals week

Zoë Woods

There are only two weeks before finals after students return from Thanksgiving break. Many students do not have enough time to re-acclimate to the college atmosphere before they are forced to switch gears for finals.

Associate Professor of Psychology, Nathaniel Wade said that stress is common for students to encounter during this time.

“I would imagine it would depend on the year in school. Your first year students going home for a week and then coming back could be a bigger transition than for seniors who have done this multiple years now. They kind of get the pacing of how Thanksgiving falls in the fall semester,” Wade said.

However, freshmen are not the only students that feels the stress. Hannah Howard, a senior in forestry, said her days are filled with all nighters and stress when she comes back from break.

“I would definitely agree that I am stressed when I come back from Thanksgiving break. Each of my professors makes the last paper, project or group presentation due the week after Thanksgiving Break,” Howard said.

Even though there is added stress, Mary Berns, a senior in interior design, said she feels it is all worth it.

“The most important thing to me is family. So I am thankful for the time I get to spend with them during Thanksgiving break. Although that short time between Thanksgiving break and Christmas break is stressful, it is a small price to pay for the time I get to spend with my family,” Berns said.

For others, it all depends on the class work. Brian Allen, a senior in industrial engineering, said that time isn’t the main factor that contributes to his stress.

“I really feel like you can’t really change the timing of the breaks. They are what they are and people just need to adapt to the schedule of the semester,” Allen said.

The way the breaks fall in the academic calendar is not under the control of Iowa State. Decisions are made based on guiding principles and then events are set in motion like clockwork. Eventually it resets itself and the cycle will start over said Laura Doering, registrar of the records and registration department.

“The academic calendar is created in a very deliberate way and not arbitrary. It’s actually formula driven and Board of Reagents approved,” Doering said.

Many students are happy for the break. Hannah Howard said she believes the timing is just right.

“You really can’t have Christmas Break any later without infringing on holiday celebrations and family plans,” Howard said.

For the stress that the weeks ahead may cause students, there are many healthy ways they can cope.

“As psychotherapists, we train people on how to meditate and how to do deep breathing and relaxation stuff,” Wade said.

Talking to people, participating in fun activities and taking walks also contributes to stress relief, said Wade.

“For many people [Thanksgiving break] is a great stress reliever, it’s a good rest period before really hitting it for the end of the semester and maybe for others it feels like it came a little too late and they could’ve used it sooner,” Wade said.