International Students celebrate Christmas around the world

Jake Miller/ Iowa State Daily

With a number of international students staying in Ames away from their families over break, many buildings around campus, like the Student Services Building, are putting up Christmas decorations to help students feel at home.

Katharina Gruenewald

Christmas is celebrated differently around the world. Iowa State’s international students can tell stories about their Christmas traditions–traditions that Americans may have never heard of before.

For Rocio Aviles, sophomore in industrial engineering and international student from Guatemala, it is all about family on Christmas Eve.

“We get together to have dinner, we will wait for midnight and then we will all hug and give the presents to each other. After the presents, my family will sit down and eat again,” Aviles said.

At midnight, it is typical that there will be a lot of fireworks around the cities. A traditional dinner of a dish called tamales, made of corn and chicken, and the drink ponche, made from fruits and sugar, will be served.

“Christmas is an important date for me being with my family,” Aviles said.

It is also Christmas without snow. Since Guatemala has such a warm climate, she has never had a Christmas with snow in her life.

Kevin Yan, junior in industrial engineering and an international student from Mauritius is not used to the snow on Christmas either. Since he is originally from Mauritius, a small island west of the African coast, Yan has experienced Christmas during the summer. Mauritius lies in the southern hemisphere.

“Christmas day we usually go to the beach and have lunch there, and on Christmas Eve the family and relatives gather together and share the gifts.” Yan said.

Being a multicultural country, the island of Mauritius has all kinds of cuisines such as Indian, Chinese, African and French. Traditional christmas food therefore depends on the family, Yan said. 

“Since our origin is from China, we will probably eat Chinese food,” Yan said.

A totally different way of celebrating Christmas is done in Poland. As Katarzyna Krzystolik, international student from Poland in the Intensive English and Orientation Program described.

“We will start our Christmas dinner when you can see the first star. We will have fish, usually carp and we will also have a special soup made out of fish’s head,” Krzystolik said. “We will cut french rolls into smalls pieces, put them into the oven until they are crunchy and dump them in that fish soup.”

After dinner some people will go to church. It is not uncommon for younger people to just go out and have a beer instead with friends, Krystolik said. Once everyone returns gifts are given out.

In contrast to the story of Santa Claus children are told in the United States, children in Poland believe that the “christchild”, the small baby jesus, brings the presents on the 24th of December.

“Santa Claus brings gifts on December 6th to us but on Christmas the small Jesus is giving presents. And so when we prepare the dinner talble, we prepare one more plate than that is actually needed.” Krystolik said.

It is tradition originating from the belief that Jesus comes to knock at the door and share a meal.

Another tradition followed by Krystolik is that the Christmas tree is never artificial.

“I like the smell of natural trees,” she said. The tree is decorated with bows with wishes for the next year written on them.

“The most special about this time is the time with parents, because during the year we are usually really busy, so this is the one day where we will celebrate that we are together,” Krystolik said.

For Paul Kyungjoon Chung, senior in management and international student from South Korea New Year’s is much more about family than Christmas.

“Christmas is a more a romantic holiday, geared towards couples,” Chung said.

Chung said families will still set up a Christmas tree, decorate their house, go out to dinner at Christmas Eve and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. The majority of the time is spent with the partner.

“It is not [so] much for family since one week later is New Year, where everyone will spend the time with their family. Because of that Christmas is getting less attention from family and is more time for couples,” Chung said.