Editorial: Give, and give thanks this season

It goes without saying that Thanksgiving is the time of year in which we take a moment to appreciate all the great things and people in our lives. It is good for people to have a day in which to bask in the loving warmth of family and friends. The workplace, academic, and relationship stresses of even the most privileged individuals can be too much to bear, and we all need these temporary breaks to sit back and give thanks for what he have and cherish.

However, the holiday season is also a good time to think of others and what they perhaps do not have. Cozy and warm in a well-heated room, surrounded by food and loved ones, it can be hard to think that anyone doesn’t enjoy a similar seasonal experience. However, hard it is to be dragged out of that holiday euphoria, it is important that we think of and act for the good of those who have less than we do.

An example of this is the many food drives that pop up around the holiday time, requesting that we spare a can or box of food so another may have a family meal. It is the smallest of gestures, and as such it, may seem insignificant to the point of uselessness. What we must keep in mind is that for those with so little, providing enough for a true seasonal celebration can mean so much.

Entrenched in a campus culture, it is difficult for many students to think of poverty. We think of ourselves as “poor” college students, riddled with debt and living off ramen noodles, but many have a support network of friends and family that are eager to help at a moment’s notice. When every third person you see on campus has a North Face and Nikes, it can be difficult (and sometimes uncomfortable) to think of those who have little to nothing with which to keep themselves warm. Outside of our snug campus, and indeed our cozy town of Ames, exist countless people for whom feeding themselves is a daily struggle. In underprivileged regions in the country, or poorer parts of the cities, holidays are the last things on people’s minds.

Thanksgiving and Christmas are a time for giving just as much as receiving, and that doesn’t mean just buying designer clothes and the like for friends. The holiday season, though not celebrated by all, is cherished by enough of our population that those who are lacking truly miss out.

Donate extra food and clothing, and perhaps go out of your way to volunteer some hours at a local shelter or food bank. Taking that tiny chunk out of your holiday can actually give an entire family a holiday to experience.

This is not to say that the seasons should be one of guilt – the point of Thanksgiving is to be happy about what we have, not feel burdened by our fortune. However, when you are carving your turkey or pulling pies out of the oven, think on what you can do to help the less fortunate.

It may be impossible to make everyone happy all the time, but the holidays are the time of year when regardless, we should try.