International students find alternative ways to spend Fall Break

Katharina Gruenewald

During Fall Break, many students go home to see their parents and old friends again, but international students are usually not able to do that, unless they have relatives in the United States.

“Thanksgiving break is just too short,” said Paul Chung, senior in management and student from South Korea. “It costs a lot to fly out, and it is actually not worth it. By the time I get [to Korea] and by the time I am rid of my jet lag, the break is done.”

International students have to find other ways to spend their breaks. One option is to attend one of the trips organized by the International Student and Scholars Office.

“There are two trips over Thanksgiving break,”said Katherine Lundberg, graduate student in education and graduate assistant in the International Student and Scholar Office. “One is a four-day trip to St. Louis and the second is a trip to the Jordan Creek Mall on Black Friday.”

The office usually organizes a day-trip each month and longer trips during breaks. Although the trips are tailored to international students and set up trough the office, anyone is welcome to participate.

“Their purpose is to promote cultural awareness and to learn more about Iowa or different areas within the United States,” Lundberg said.

However, many international students also like to spend their break entirely in Ames.

“I use Thanksgiving break as a relaxation time and time to refresh before finals,”said Osomiyor Abalu, graduate student in education from Nigeria and graduate assistant for orientation in the International Student and Scholar Office.”There is usually a large amount of international students that are around during break.”

Chung said he agrees.

“My international friends and I, we stay in Ames and look forward to Black Friday shopping. Some are invited to the homes of American friends to celebrate the holiday. Last Thanksgiving, I was invited by my American friend. I visited her house, and we ate dinner together.”

Since Thanksgiving is a holiday that is in many ways unique to American culture, many international students have never celebrated it before.

“Thanksgiving is not part of our official holidays in Nigeria, but since I had a somewhat host family in Ames, I went to have Thanksgiving dinner with them,” Abalu said. “She was a really nice lady. I met her my first day on Iowa [State’s] campus. We connected and she kind of became my adopted family.” 

International student organizations might also organize some events for the students that spend their break in Ames.

“There are the African Student Association on campus and the African Student Fellowship, which is kind of like a church, and we will have meal with the American turkey and African food.” Abalu said.

With all these possibilities, international students are not lonely on campus, Chung said. 

“With being invited to an American friend’s house, the Black Friday shopping in Minnesota and my church activities, which sort of substitutes my family, I am really busy.” Chung said.

Even though international students don’t have the chance to go home during break, they make use of the options given to them. 

“There a lot of different ways for them to get out of Iowa State and get a break from the routine, and they use them,” Lundberg said.