Annual Homecoming events keep tradition alive at ISU

Caitlin Ellingson/Iowa State Daily

To kick off the 2013 Homecoming Week at Iowa State, the first cut of the annual Yell Like Hell competition was on Central Campus on Sunday, Nov. 3, where the greek community came together and each sorority and fraternity pairing performed their unique skit to the theme “Homecoming 101: The Tradition Continues.”

Brian Keck

Students share their love of Iowa State in different ways when Homecoming rolls around.

Homecoming, which is put on by the Iowa State Alumni Center, consists of many events on campus such as the Friday night pep rally for returning alumni, a performance by the Alumni band, the annual rendition of Yell Like Hell, Homecoming activities on Central Campus and many more.

The weekdays prior to the Homecoming weekend, students can come to Central Campus for lunch.

Food on campus allows students to meet up on Central Campus and try a variety of foods. In order to partake in the food activities, students must purchase Homecoming buttons from the Memorial Union or the Alumni Center for $5.

One tradition at Iowa State, Yell Like Hell, consists of pairings of fraternities and sororities who create an original skit that includes a dance-and-shout routine.

“[Yell Like Hell] is a great way for everyone to meet new people and show our pride in the greek community,” said Justina Schimek, sophomore in marketing and a member of Alpha Chi Omega.

The Homecoming weekend kicks off with a large pep rally in front of the Alumni Center where students and alumni join together to see the final round of the Yell Like Hell competition, introduction of the men and women’s basketball teams and the crowning of the Homecoming King and Queen. And to end the night, students and alumni gather around the campanile for mass Campaniling and fireworks.

“I really like the fireworks and mass Campaniling. It’s a lot of fun seeing the students come out for fireworks with their significant others,” said Kurt Beyer, assistant director for student programs at the Alumni Center.

Students and organizations celebrate Homecoming in different ways to show their cyclone spirit.

Henry Chen, sophomore in aerospace engineering and president of the Cranor House in Maple Hall, has planned and organized for Maple Hall to spell out “ISU” using each residence’s window through lights.

“It’s fun to have one weekend where we can celebrate Iowa State as a whole,” Chen said.

Maple Hall will be lighting up on Friday night to kick off the Homecoming festivities. They will be serving free hot chocolate and cookies to students who visit.

ISU Dining will be offering a special 1858 blend coffee in honor of Danny O’ Neill, ISU alumnus and founder of the Roasterie Coffee Company, as well as Rice Krispie Treats to honor Mildred Day, the ISU alumna who created the Rice Krispie Treat.

“We thought these specials were a fun way to tie into celebrating homecoming and our alumni,” said Brittney Rutherford, program coordinator for ISU Dining.

With many different events occurring on and around campus, students have the ability to connect with alumni and show off their Cyclone pride.

“Homecoming is an example of a program where students are actively participating in the traditions,” Beyer said.

ISU alumni come back for homecoming to see students partaking in the traditions they know and love, Beyer said.