Transfer students witness on-campus shooting first-hand

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

An ISU Police car is damaged after a car chase that ended on Central Campus between Curtiss and Beardshear halls on Monday, Nov. 4.

Stephen Koenigsfeld

As Morgan Fleener paraded her tour group of 60 transfer students around campus, the group of prospective students were halted abruptly in Parks Library.

“A lady came in and she was screaming and crying,” Fleener said. “We weren’t sure what happened.”

Fleener said her tour group was told to stay inside. However, after some time had passed, Fleener said her group was allowed to move on to their next stop.

The group trotted on to Catt Hall where many prospective students and parents began to become distracted and ask questions about the police pursuit and shooting that happened just beyond where the group stood.

“There was no alert right away, so we kind of had to handle it on our own,” Fleener said. “We asked ambassadors what to do at that point. It was nice having authority figures around, though.”

Fleener said she didn’t think the incident had too much of a negative affect on students, however parents and students alike had very sporadic feelings about the afternoon.

“One guy said he liked Iowa State because of the energy on campus. There was a lot of energy on campus today,” Fleener said.