Fine dining on campus

Steph Ferguson/Iowa State Daily

Five dinners are featured each fall semester by the students in the Fine Dining Event Management class. On the first day of class students are given their groups and themes and after that moment they are planning everything for their dinners. 

Unknown to many students and faculty outside of the College of Human Sciences, students in HRI 487 Fine Dining Event Management are cooking up various cuisine in the basement of MacKay Hall.

Five dinners are featured during each fall semester. Students are assigned groups and themes from the first day of class. From that moment brainstorming for menu ideas, decoration and financial planning begins. During the first few weeks of class, students undergo a vigorous schedule consisting of menu testing and financial forecasting, all planning for their dinner.

HRI 487 brings something new to Iowa State every year that students wouldn’t normally be able to experience. For $35, guests are able to enjoy a five-course meal with wine pairings.

On Nov. 6, guests of the event will be able to experience “Gourmet Southern Cuisine.” Dishes featured in this event include local fried green tomatoes, butternut squash soup, kale and collard greens salad with pickled apples, oven barbequed spare ribs and a bourbon pecan bread pudding. Dinner begins at 6:30 p.m. Reservations are required and the dinner is open to anyone. For more information or to make a reservation for Nov. 6 contact Steph at [email protected]

For information on additional dinners check out ameseatsflavors.com.