Agricultural clubs enhance students’ academic work

The Ag Business Club focuses on career and personal leadership development of members and provides them with many opportunities.

Samantha Berrafato

Agronomy Club

The Agronomy Club meets every other week to discuss new topics happening in agriculture and to promote campus activities. Some of the club’s activities are weekly donut and pizza sales, Veishea grilling, and regional and national meetings. They also have employers come to discuss what they are looking for in future employees and opportunities in their company. The president of Agronomy Club is senior Kyle Dop.

Agriculture Business Club

This club is directed toward students in agriculture or those who have an interest in agricultural business. Their focus is on career and personal leadership development of members and they give opportunities to members to network with professionals, professors and other students. They meet once a month, typically in a lecture hall, where representatives give advice and information about internships and career opportunities. Students can join by coming to a meeting and paying dues. You can learn more by visiting www.isuagbus.org. Their president is senior Jordan Vittetoe.

Beginning Farmer Network

For students who plan to enter into farming, this is a good club to join. There is a yearly conference with speakers who help sharpen students’ skills through networking. They meet monthly to network and listen to speakers. Junior Brent Drey is the president.

ISU Horticulture Club

This club is open to any student with an interest in horticulture. Activities are aimed at furthering horticulture education. They network and learn practical skills while also giving back to the environment. Anyone interested in fruits and vegetables, gardens, floral design, indoor plants, greenhouses or landscape design should consider joining. They meet every other Monday in Horticulture 0138. Senior Kellie Walters is the president.

Farm Operation Club

Farm Operation Club meets once a month and includes topics such as commodity groups, government agricultural programs, production agriculture and job opportunities in agriculture. They offer a scholarship each year to students within the curriculum that demonstrate high academic achievement and leadership skills, as well as service activities. Their president is sophomore Kyle Larson.

Block and Bridle

Block and Bridle promotes the animal science industry by hosting the Little North American Showmanship contest and organizing multiple cattle, dog, lamb, pig and horse shows and sales throughout the year. They do many different community service projects along with providing scholarships to students who are involved in the club. If you are interested in joining, contact junior Matt Romoser at [email protected]. Their president is senior Branden Zuck.

Importance of joining clubs/organizations

We have heard many times that being involved on campus is very important. Why? When it comes down to it, an employer can be looking at two impressive resumes and if the only difference between you and another candidate for a job is being involved on campus through a club that relates to your major or that position, the employer is going to choose the involvement. Joining a club or organization may not only help you gain another bullet on your resume, but also help you gain leadership experience, network with future employers or alumni and make new friends who are interested in the same things you are.