Greek community prepares for Yell Like Hell

Photo: Lindsey Lippincott/Iowa State Daily

On Wednesday, Oct. 24 the Greek communities got together to do their annual Yell Like Hell competition on Central Campus. Each house picked a different skit to do while chanting and stomping as well while fully painted.

Delaney Vierkandt

Chants are being shouted and choreography is being learned as the ISU greek community prepares for one of its homecoming traditions: Yell Like Hell.  

Yell Like Hell is an annual event that is performed within the greek community as a part of the Homecoming ceremonies.

A pairing consists of a sorority and at least one fraternity. The teams are then challenged to create the best skit about Iowa State.

Sarah Kelly, freshman in elementary education and member of Gamma Phi Beta, said she loves Yell Like Hell because it gives her a chance to meet everyone during her first year in the sorority.

“I love [Yell Like Hell]! It is a great way to meet everyone in my freshman pledge class and in my pairing, FarmHouse and Delta Upsilon,” Kelly said. “It’s also exciting being able to have friendly competition with all of the other sororities and fraternities.”

Greek community members practice these skits with their pairings until November. Members then perform for judges, who decide which pairings make it to the performance on Central Campus.

When a pairing is chosen to advance in the competition, members must paint their entire bodies Iowa State’s colors when they perform the skit.

“There are so many different things that we have to remember, so it can get stressful,” Kelly said. “Our co-chairs are always telling us that we can make better facials, yell louder or jump higher, so we are always striving to be better.”

This year will be the Delta Chi fraternity’s first appearance in the event. Vice President Tyler Coder, junior in accounting, said members of their pairing in Delta Tau Delta and Chi Omega have been very helpful to their fraternity.

“It’s a really fun way to meet other people in the greek community,” Coder said.

Practices for the event have been going on for weeks now. Members of the chapters practice from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m three times a week.

Practicing that much can be very time consuming, Kelly said. 

“We have practices three times a week, for two hours each time. Which means we are practicing six hours every week,” Kelly said. “You just have to be able to manage your time well though, and it’s fine. I like to finish all my homework and studying right away after my classes so that I am not worried about it during Yell Like Hell.”

The intimidation factor peaked early for Kelly, but she is now used to the dated traditions.

“At first I was a little intimidated because your [co-chairs] make you scream on the top of your lungs as you’re introducing yourself to the group,” Kelly said. “But now I am used to yelling all of the time, and it is super fun!”

Yell Like Hell will be performed the first week of November during Homecoming week on Central Campus.

“It is such a fun event to be involved in, and I am so glad that I decided to join,” Kelly said. “I have already met so many new people from it, and I cannot wait to get my whole body painted cardinal and gold!”