Students search for internships at career fair

Claire Breese of the Mass Mutual Financial Group speaks with pre-business major Daniel Breitbarth during the Business, Industry and Technology career fair on Wednesday, Sept. 25. 

Brian Keck

More than 1,300 students gathered in Scheman Building to meet with a variety of potential employers, hoping to find internships, jobs or make connections with future employers.

Wednesday was the biannual Fall Career Fair for the colleges of Human Sciences and Liberal Arts and Sciences, hosted by People to People.

Employers attend career fairs to offer students internships, and full and part time positions to many different students of all majors.  

All students were encouraged to attend the People to People Career Fair. For juniors and seniors, the career fair was about landing an internship or job while freshmen and sophomores were looking to make new connections, said Taren Crow, program coordinator in LAS.

“Freshman get exposed to this kind of environment, [and] see all the different employers and opportunities open to them,” Crow said.

There were 77 different companies ranging from many fields are the fair.

The different types of companies include nonprofit, government, social services, hospitality and health and wellness, said Loni Pringnitz, program coordinator of career services of the college of Human Sciences.

The Human Sciences and LAS People to People Career Fair exposes students to many opportunities.

The fair helps students prepare for their practice, Pringnitz said. It encourages students to look for internships, explore and allows them to identify the employers they want to work for.

Employers attended the fair to meet with students and inform them about their company.

“We come to get the word out,” said Jason Fanselau, clinical regional director of operations for Biotronic Inc. “[We want to get] the information out there for students”.

Many students come to the career fair to make connections with companies and impress employers.  

“I found it helpful because there were so many employers that came and answered questions, and talked about potential internships and opportunities that they offer,” said Sara Pape, junior in child, adult and family services.

Caryssa Philgreen, freshman in event management, said she went to make connections and see what kinds of opportunities are out there.

Students prepare to impress the companies they are interested in by attending the programs set up by their college.

“I went to career fair prep session for college of human sciences,” Pape said. “I made sure my resume was up to date, practiced my introduction, researched the companies that I was interested in speaking to.”

Students who missed the fall People to People Career Fair can attend the career fair in the spring.