Business Week finds student-run companies popping up in Ames

Jake Miller/ Iowa State Daily

Owners of A.I. Supplements Brandon Amerine, left, and Ian Naber opened in their business in Campustown in late July. The store provides nutritional supplements to students.

Seth Young

Every year, Business Week gives students interested in management or ownership-oriented positions the chance to get advice on how to reach their goals with speeches and talks from professionals, as well as a career fair.

Two business students are venturing out into the business world on their own.

Opening for the first time during the summer, AI Supplements began serving the students of Iowa State. The business provides a wide range of nutritional supplements at prices tailored more to the budget of a health-minded student than most establishments of its kind.

The idea of opening such a venue started with Ian Naber, junior in kinesiology and health. Naber, prior to his time at Iowa State, worked for a similar store in Muscatine, Iowa. As the small shop’s success grew, it gradually contributed to the eventual closing of the local General Nutrition Center.

Seeing a need for such a business on campus, Naber sought to seize an opportunity and fill the gap.  When he approached his former employer about franchising into Ames, Naber was denied. However, he still saw potential in the plan and continued to explore it.

“I knew I could get the [supplements] cheaper,” Naber said. “But the local stores were charging 20 bucks above what my old store did.”

Requiring support to make progress, Naber reached out to another student, Brandon Amerine, fellow Muscatine citizen and high school classmate.

Amerine senior in management, and Naber discussed the financial aspects of the startup and what began as a consultation quickly budded into the beginnings of a business partnership.

Upon finding a suitable location to open up shop, Naber and Amerine got to work on their brainchild. What followed was a summer of building renovations, extensive planning and various licensing. Naber and Amerine took a chance and found themselves with the beginnings of a business endeavor.

“I saw an opportunity and went for it,” Naber said about his new position. “We used the knowledge from our two degrees and put them together.”

On July 31, AI Supplements opened its doors to the people of Iowa State, Ames and even the Des Moines area. The first business of its kind within walking distance of campus, the establishment supplies customers with a variety of nutritional supplements such as proteins, vitamins, amino acids and full body detoxifications.

In addition to their extensive selection of products, AI Supplements also provides a unique opportunity to customers in the form of face-to-face support from peers knowledgeable in the field. Staff on hand can help anyone determine whether or not supplements are right for them, and if so, which one is the correct kind for them.

“[We are] two students taking what we learned in class, grabbing an opportunity, and making it a reality,” Amerine said.

AI Supplements can be found at 2408 Chamberlain St.