Students learn how to LEAD at retreat

Students build an airplane during the 2013 LEAD retreat in Boone, Iowa. Student leaders had the opportunity to participate in various team-building exercises. 

Delaney Vierkandt

Approximately 45 students attended a Leadership Enrichment and Diversity retreat, where they were able to talk about the organizations they were representing, and build relationships amongst themselves.

The students travelled by bus to the Boone Y-Camp, where they stayed overnight in cabins and met with a variety of different students.

Carly Taylor, general co-president of the Homecoming Central Committee, said that her expectations were exceeded during her first experience at the retreat.

“It was such an interesting experience to look at all of the people who participated in this retreat and think that we were all organizations and people trying to benefit Iowa State as a whole, and truly get the most out of our collegiate experiences,” Taylor said.

Karl Kerns, general co-chair of VEISHA, said he felt building relationships with the other leaders while attending the LEAD retreat was very important and beneficial.

“It was great to network with all the different bodies at Iowa State,” Kerns said. “From a VEISHA standpoint, we like to include student groups so we can reach out to the students in an easier way.”

The event hosted multiple speakers from within the university, giving the students the chance to hear from university leadership.

“One of the most interesting things I will take out of this retreat was a comment made by Iowa State’s Senior Vice President and Provost, Jonathan Wickert, and that was that if everything is a priority, nothing is,” Taylor said. 

“I think this can translate both into life and every organization on campus. It is about focusing on what really needs to be accomplished, as well as focusing on particular goals.”

The students participated in many different activities, including team building exercises, discussions on leadership, conflict resolution and group dynamics. There were also icebreaker activities and a bonfire.

The students that attended this 24-hour retreat had to come up with something called an “elevator pitch” to share with everyone. This 30 second pitch was used to describe their organization to the rest of the group.

“It was good to hear a synopsis and just a real quick rundown of all the groups,” Kerns said. “Especially the ones you don’t really hear about.”

Taylor said she thought that it was very interesting hearing the pitches, especially because it was a chance for them to share what they do as organizations, from events to promotions.

“This retreat offered a wonderful opportunity to mingle and network with other clubs on campus,” Taylor said.

“It gave us the opportunity to explore potential future collaborations and give each other feedback and advice. This is important because when a leader is so involved in their organizations, it can be hard to remember you, as an organization, touch and affect others.”

Taylor saw the LEAD retreat not only as being beneficial for student organization leaders, but as something that could benefit every student.

“I do think this camp was extremely beneficial and I wish that every student on campus had the opportunity to participate in something similar to this retreat,” Taylor said. “It may have been one of the more educational things I have done and participated in here at Iowa State.”

The event took place this past Friday, Sept. 6 and Saturday, Sept. 7.