Freshman Chase Rey helps out Cyclone Hockey early on

Photo: Yanhua Huang/ Iowa State Daily

No. 20 Chase Rey controls the puck. Iowa State beat Waldorf Warriors 5-1 at the ISU/Ames Ice Arena on Sept. 14.

Jared Stansbury

When talking about the roster of the ISU hockey team, most people would describe the team as veteran-laden.

Despite the fact that the team is led by primarily juniors and seniors, that has not stopped freshman Chase Rey from making his mark. Rey was able to pick up a start in only his second game, Saturday against Waldorf.

“It was an honor to start in just my second game,” Rey said. “I have great linemates, and they have welcomed me with open arms.”

Rey made his presence felt early on in the series with Waldorf. He assisted on the Cyclones’ first goal in the season-opener Friday night and picked up another assist late in the game to finish with two points in his first career appearance. 

Before coming to Iowa State, Rey was given the opportunity to play two seasons in the U.S. Hockey League, but he turned down the offer and became a Cyclone.

“The big thing for me is academics,” Rey said. “I just was at that point in my life where I wanted to get started on school, and Iowa State seemed like a great fit.”

Another person excited about Rey turning down the USHL is ISU coach Al Murdoch.

“I told him that if he is ready to go to school, now is the time to start and Iowa State is the place to be. We feel like he is a good student,” Murdoch said. “He also is a very exceptional hockey player, we are very pleased to have him.”

There has been a small adjustment period for Rey since he joined Cyclone Hockey, but he said playing against juniors for the Janseville Jets of the North American Hockey League helped him prepare for the college game.

“All the guys here played juniors,” Rey said. “It is a very similar style. You just have to come in, have your head up, and make the right play.”

Despite the fact that Rey was able to get a start in only his second game, Murdoch doesn’t want to overwhelm him early on.

“I think he will be one of the leaders in the future,” Murdoch said. “But we try not to put freshmen into too high of a position too early.”

Murdoch wasn’t the only person impressed by Rey in the opening weekend. 

“Chase Rey is a really great player,” said sophomore forward Jake Bruhn. “He moves the puck really well.”

Rey has high expectations for the Cyclones this season.

“I think everybody’s goal is to win a national championship,” Rey said. “I’m not going to expect to have a huge year; I just want to do the little things and win a national title.”