City Council approves Kingland Systems proposal for reconstruction in Campustown

Photo: Jared Raney/Iowa State Daily

The Ames City Council met Tuesday for the first time of the school year to discuss, among other things, the Kingland Systems Campustown Redevelopment Project.

Zoë Woods

Kingland Systems sought approval for their Campustown redevelopment project Tuesday at the Ames City Council meeting.

The redevelopment project would demolish buildings, including four restaurants, starting from the corner of Stanton Avenue and continuing down Lincoln Way. The project would end at the corner of Welch Avenue.

Warren Madden, senior vice president for business and finance, expressed interest in leasing business office space on behalf of Iowa State if the Campustown redevelopment project went through.

In order to continue considering the project Kingland Systems was required by the Ames City Council to complete three tasks.

They were required to bring to the table a more detailed explanation of what the project would entail.

Kingland also had to meet with the Historic Preservation Commission to gain more insight as to the historical importance of the area pegged for demolition.

Finally, they had to meet with the Campustown Action Committee where Kingland received feedback on the redevelopment proposal.

Many voices spoke out about the project, including students from Iowa State University. Spencer Hughes, president of the Government of the Student Body, had written an email to the council earlier this week requesting more time from the council to allow for more student input.

A variety of feelings were expressed in reaction to the information presented by Kingland Systems at the meeting.

Alexandria Harvey, Ames city council student liaison, brought to the attention of the council the importance of student evaluation on the project. She emphasized the impact they have on Campustown and that the students should be given a say in the matter.

“Students make up half of the population of Ames, and we are also citizens of Ames, so I think… its very important that we include students in this,” Harvey said.

Students came in front of the council with both positive and negative views on the project.

“Campustown is an integral part of the Iowa State student experience. Student input has not been adequately considered in this project,” said Zoë Kustritz, sophomore in industrial design.

If businesses were to be affected by Kingland’s redevelopment project it would diminish the charm of Campustown, Kustritz said.

Some of the buildings that would be affected by the proposed plan include the Champlin Building and the historical theater currently serving as Kingland Systems offices. The most updated version of Kingland’s project plans for a three-story 75,000 square foot building, reported a previous Iowa State Daily article,

Gabby Williams, speaker of the senate for the Government of the Student Body spoke of her approval of Kingland’s proposal.

“I really like the way [Kingland] went about this… I would really like to see this go through. I’ve been a part of it from sort of the beginning, and it’s something that I really have come to enjoy,” Williams said, referring to Kingland’s redevelopment proposal.

Council members will be attending WelcomeFest on Wednesday at Iowa State University, where students can meet and discuss further with themabout the project.