Facebook group helps students trade, sell items

Photo courtesy: John Lupkes

Students are finding new ways to use social media. A new way to purchase all kinds of items is on Facebook and other online sites where people can get things for a price they want to pay.

Bethany Benes

ISU students are adopting a new way of buying and selling their possessions for reasonable prices.

Instead of using popular websites such as eBay or Craigslist, these students have joined a Facebook group that allows them to sell their unwanted possessions at whatever price the buyer agrees. It also allows students looking for a bargain to take advantage of some great deals and even find some items for free.

Members post a description and asking price of the item they are trying to sell, and interested buyers can contact the seller by sending them a Facebook message.

The Facebook group is strictly for ISU students and can be accessed by “liking” the Iowa State Facebook page. The group will then be available for students to join.

Virtually anything can be sold within the group, from clothes and furniture to electronics and textbooks; several students say they have seen it all.

“I’ve seen animals be sold on there — really random stuff — but also useful stuff at the same time,” said Jenna Petersen, sophomore in graphic design.

Petersen has been using this Facebook group to buy and sell her possessions for about a year now and believes this method of exchange is safer and more reliable than Craigslist or eBay.

“[It is] definitely better than Craigslist,” Petersen said.

Petersen said her experience with the group has been a fairly easy process but thinks there are a few flaws within the system.

“Usually they say if you’re going to add a lot of stuff, make an album. Some people just post pictures separately, and it can get really crowded,” Petersen said.

She also suggests turning off your notifications from the group because members are constantly making posts.

ISU student Nick Meier, senior in psychology, discovered the Facebook group when he was looking for a mini-fridge to purchase. His friends told him about the group, and ever since, he has been using the system.

“I had a guitar, actually, that I bought last semester,” Meier said. “Somebody offered it for $200, I offered them $150, they went up to $175 and I gave them $180 for it.”

Meier also said he later discovered the guitar was worth $300.

Bargain prices are not the only deals that can be found on the Facebook group; members often offer their unwanted possessions for free.

“I’ve gotten some clickers for free,” Meier said.

He also believes that the Free and For Sale Facebook group is less of a hassle than eBay would be.

“You don’t actually have to try to bid for things,” Meier said. However, he believes the method is actually very similar to Craigslist.

A full list of rules posted by the group’s administrator Christopher Waters can be seen on the website to serve as a guideline on how to use this resource. The Facebook group has gathered nearly 2,600 members during its existence and continues to grow as students learn about this new way of selling and exchanging items.

Similar groups such as Ames Clothing Swap, ISU Ticket Exchange and Textbook Exchange can also be found on Iowa State’s Facebook page.