Iowa State sets record enrollment numbers for the fifth time

Troxel+Hall

Troxel Hall

Katie Grunewald

Iowa State has set record enrollment numbers once again this summer and for the upcoming school year.

This fall, Iowa State will mark its fifth year of record enrollment, and the seventh consecutive year of growth at the university.

Instead of having a slow and relaxing summer, several departments at Iowa State have been busy preparing for the record number of students. Even this summer, Iowa State had a record number of enrolled students.

A record number, 11,233 students, enrolled in the summer session at Iowa State this year. That represents an increase of 435 students, four percent higher than last summer’s student body of 10,798 students.

Undergraduate enrollment, 7,611 students, is up 5.5 percent, 395 students, from summer 2012. Graduate enrollment, 3,145 students, is up 1.7 percent, 53 students, from a year ago. Veterinary medicine student enrollment is up 167 students and post-docs are up 310.

In the summer of 2012, Iowa State had 10,798 students enrolled to take courses and Marcia McDowell, a staff member from the Office of Registrar expected the 2013 summer statistics to stay high.

“The numbers should be comparable to last year’s numbers, if anything they will be higher,” McDowell said.

McDowell’s May prediction proved to be right.

Summer’s high enrollment caused an increase in apartment subleases. Because of the many students in Ames that were leaving for the summer, summer students did not struggle to find a temporary place to live.

A definite number on students living in campus housing this summer is not available at this time. Cameron Aisenbrey, communications specialist for the Department of Residence, estimated “about 800 students are living on campus this summer.”

Spencer Nelson, the assistant manager at Haverkamp Properties in Ames, provided information on the number of subleases within their management company.

“It would be pretty hard to actually come up with the number of subleases. The majority of our people don’t tell us about it,” Nelson said. “They are still in our computer as if they lived here even if they are not necessarily there,” Nelson said.

“It would be pretty hard to give an estimate, but if I had to guess, I would say probably there have been about 40 residents that have subleased.”

Fall Enrollment Predictions

The incoming freshman class is record breaking, and roughly 32,000 students are expected to be enrolled in the fall.

Official enrollment is not taken until the 10th day of classes, making the official enrollment numbers for the fall semester available on Sept. 11. All three Regent universities, Iowa State, the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa enrollment numbers will be released that day.

Because of the even higher number of students attending Iowa State, new spaces have been created for students to utilize.

Legacy Tower, Maricopa Aprtments and new Frderiksen Court buildings being leased by the university have created more space for students to live.

Troxel Hall, which is near completion and will be ready for students in the fall, is a new lecture hall that accommodate large classes that many students are required to take.

Along with new housing and teaching options, new dining establishments will be available on the Iowa State campus. Global Café in Curtiss Hall will offer sandwiches, The Grill, a seasonal cart outside of Union Drive Coommunity Center, will be open through October and a Mediterranean-style lunch service will be available at the Memorial Union run by Panda Express.