Simple solutions for avoiding ‘freshman 15’

Hayley Hochstetler/Iowa State Daily

Freshman Alex Peterson, a construction engineering major, works out at Lied Recreation Center on Friday, August 23rd, 2013. 

Delaney Vierkandt

As students transition from living at home to being independent, they face many new challenges, including avoiding weight gain.

Every year, the infamous 15-pound weight gain seems to take ahold of those new to the college experience. Lisa Nolting, a dietician at Iowa State, thinks this can be avoided by some simple nutrition choices.

Nolting believes there are no such things as good or bad foods. What students should realize is that anything can fit into a healthy diet with balance and moderation. High calorie foods should be eaten in smaller portions and less often than lean meats, vegetables and whole grains.

“When you first get into the dining hall, head to the salad bar area and make yourself a small salad with leafy greens, or select some of your favorite raw veggies like carrots, grape tomatoes, green peppers and broccoli,” Nolting said.

“The dining halls always have apples, bananas, and oranges in addition to daily rotating fruit options like strawberries, sliced melon and canned fruit. Eat your vegetables and fruit first, and try one new vegetable or fruit each week.”

Eating isn’t the entire issue. ISU fitness coordinator Kara Herbert feels that extracurricular activities should play an integral role in maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

“Get involved. Not only is it going to keep you active, but it’s going to make you feel better about yourself,” Herbert said.

Getting in the gym is the most obvious way to keep your body fine-tuned. That doesn’t mean you have to bring your homework to the elliptical machine. Thirty minutes a day, five days a week, is all it takes for an effective workout regimen, Nolting said.

When it comes to choosing an exercise program students should “find something they enjoy. Honestly, it’s the biggest thing that people don’t realize. If you don’t enjoy it you’re not going to stick to it,” Herbert said.

Iowa State offers many services for those who may feel awkward going to the gym for the first time. Fitness classes are great for those just starting out, because it gives you an idea on what you want to do for exercises, Herbert said.

Recreation Services offers body composition testing and wellness assessments for no charge.

There is also a program called the Rec Miler Program. You can earn points for different exercises, then redeem those points later for prizes.

There are a wide variety of opportunities for students to be active on campus whether it’s lifting weights at Lied Recreation Athletic Center, playing basketball at Beyer Hall or scaling the  climbing wall at State Gym.

“Challenge yourself to be physically active each day, even if it’s just skipping the bus and walking instead,” Nolting said.