Board of Regents to review multiple Iowa State requests

Kennedy DeRaedt/Iowa State Daily

Pam Cain (middle), interim senior vice president and university secretary from the division of finance at Iowa State, talks about the register of Iowa State University capital improvement business transactions. Board of Regents held a meeting on Feb. 27 in the Reiman Ballroom at the Alumni Center to hear from the property and facilities committee, the investment and finance committee, the academic affairs committee, campus and student affairs committee, audit and compliance committee and University of Iowa hospitals and clinics committee.

Jacob Smith

The Iowa Board of Regents will be meeting Wednesday and Thursday to discuss various initiatives that affect the students and community of Ames.

Iowa State University (ISU) requested the regents to add a Bachelor of Science in Business Analytics and Master in Athletic Training, raze the Insectary Building on ISU’s campus, purchase 10.6 acres of land in eastern Ames and accept a real estate gift from the Committee for Agriculture Development (CAD).

ISU has also asked the board to consider adding a business analytics major and athletic training masters program to the list of study areas Iowa State offers.

The Council of Provosts and Board office support the approval of both programs, as stated in the agenda.

Implementing athletic training programs will cost $41,500 in the first year and $50,000 the third year, totaling $91,500 altogether, as stated in the request. Business analytics programs will cost nothing within the first seven years to run.

Additionally, ISU has requested to raze the Insectary Building since it “has a number of serious deficiencies, extensive deferred maintenance and building systems well past their useful life,” as stated in the request.

CAD has offered ISU a real estate gift of 7.02 acres of land and five buildings totaling 45,000 square feet at the Curtiss Farm.

This request will be reviewed and considered by the Board for acceptance on behalf of ISU.

The Board’s meeting will be at 11 a.m. Sept. 18 and 9:15 a.m. Sept. 19 in the Lied Multipurpose Complex at the Iowa School of the Deaf in Council Bluffs, Ia. Additional information on the Board’s meetings and agendas can be found online at www.iowaregents.edu.