NTK Iowa State Athletic Venues

Alex Gookin

Athletic events have become an important part of the college experience across the nation, and Cyclone athletics are no exception. With enrollment at an all-time high, Cyclone venues are expected to once again be filled to capacity.

Whether it is attending a Cyclone event for the first time or wanting to see something new, knowing a little bit about each venue is important. Here is a rundown of Iowa State’s most used sports facilities.

Jack Trice Stadium

Named after Iowa State’s first African-American athlete, who was tragically killed as a result of injuries in a football game, Jack Trice Stadium is home to the Cyclone football team. Located in the Iowa State Center, Jack Trice Stadium is often the first sight seen driving into campus.

For a handful of Saturdays every fall, 55,000 Cyclone fans “Pack the Jack” and go out to support their football team. Recent success has resulted in high attendance marks, reaching a climax last season when Jack Trice Stadium announced its first-ever sellout of 56,800 against Kansas State.

Students wishing to attend games are encouraged to enter as early as possible, as student tickets are general admission and seats are obtained on a first-come, first-serve basis. All gates open 90 minutes before kickoff and students are to use Gate 2 on the west side of Jack Trice Stadium to enter the game.

Hilton Coliseum

This 14,376-seat arena, also located in the Iowa State Center, is used year-round for men’s and women’s sports such as volleyball, basketball, gymnastics and wrestling. 

Opened in 1971, Hilton Coliseum has provided an electric atmosphere for all sporting events. Des Moines Register sportswriter Buck Tumbull famously dubbed the atmosphere “Hilton Magic” in 1989 after the men’s basketball team upset No. 3 Missouri. Since then, the “magic” has stuck around.

The volleyball team has seen four NCAA Tournament appearances since 2005 with the help of “Hilton Magic.” In 2009, volleyball attendance in Hilton ranked ninth nationally and the Hilton faithful undoubtedly helped will the 2012 team to an upset of No. 1 Nebraska.

The women’s gymnastics and men’s wrestling matches also bring large crowds to Hilton. In 2013, both squads shared the floor of Hilton during the “Beauty and the Beast” event, with the wrestling team upsetting No. 25 Northern Iowa and the gymnastics team setting an all-time attendance record. The gymnastics team finished 5-2 at Hilton in 2013, upsetting two teams. 

The men’s and women’s basketball teams are perhaps the best examples of Hilton Magic. The women’s basketball team has recorded five-straight top-4 national attendance marks, while the men’s team has gone 32-3 in Hilton Coliseum in the last two years.

To join the excitement, students are to enter through the North doors of Hilton Coliseum and sit wherever they choose on a first-come, first-serve basis in the student section.

Cyclone Sports Complex

The newest edition to the Cyclone venues is the $13 million Cyclone Sports Complex, opened in 2012. The complex is home to the soccer, track and field and softball teams.

Located near the towers on Mortensen Road and Welch Avenue, the state-of-the-art facility seats 1,500 fans, where the soccer team set a school record for attendance in 2012. The complex also features an improved track and field venue, as well as a new softball field.

Patrons are to enter through the main gate. The parking lot west of the facility is free to use an hour before an event and can be utilized up to an hour after an event ends.