ISU veterans resemble Founding Fathers

Photo: Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Daily

A maple tree is planted outside of the north end of the Memorial Union.  The tree was planted as a dedication for the Vietnam Veterans that attended Iowa State University. The plaque states “May this Crimson Maple stand in Honor of those who served, and symbolize our future growth in peace and prosperity. Dedicated to Iowa Vietnam Era Veterans By the I.S.U. Veterans Club, Fall 1978.”

Katie Grunewald

The nation’s Founding Fathers signed and adopted the Declaration of Independence 237 years ago.

Those men and women wanted and fought for their freedom and independence from Great Britain. Today, men and women continue to fight for those same freedoms.

“ISU veterans are heroes and sheroes,” said Dr. Tom Hill, Senior Vice President of Student Affairs at Iowa State. “What they bring is a reminder of what it takes to be a great country, which is committed citizens who serve their country.

Jathan Chicoine, Veterans Services Coordinator at Iowa State, has a mission of “strengthening the lives of veterans, military personal, their families, and our community.”

The Founding Fathers of the United States of America were political leaders who signed the United States Declaration of Independence, took part in the American Revolutionary War, and established the United States Constitution. Just like the people who founded the United States, current veterans are leaders.

“Veterans are really natural leaders in a lot of ways. A veteran could have been a platoon leader, had multiple deployments and was responsible for the wellness of their soldiers,” Chicoine said.

The change in responsibility some veterans face when returning from active duty and re-entering civilian life can be a difficult one.

“It’s a challenging thing to go from an environment where you’re recognized for your accomplishments to an environment that doesn’t,” Chicoine said.

“That can be a common thread for my brothers and sisters that go from leadership roles to an environment that doesn’t see their potential. Finding a place to fit in, in a civilian context is challenging. When I was thrust into leadership roles, I became a natural leader in my family, my community and my nation.”

While the transition to civilian life can be a challenging one, many veterans begin that transition by seeking higher education. When veterans interact and connect with each at colleges and universities, they can pursue a higher education while reflecting on a common experience with other veterans.

“When we put veterans back in leadership roles they excel. It benefits our entire university system inviting them into that discussion, and for the average student here at Iowa State, it really is an opportunity,” Chicoine said. “What’s amazing is when you stop and think about it, you see the fortitude and dedication and gifts all of these students bring to this university.”

Chicoine received a text message from a student who had been deployed several times and had experienced “every obstacle imaginable,” who had just received a B on their math final. That is one example of the dedication the veteran students have to their schooling.

At Iowa State, veterans have the Veterans Center as one resource.

“Sometimes the Veterans Center is rich with conversation and people connecting. That’s the privilege I get to have being in here. The connections that happen for people just coming into the university and visiting with another student that’s been through the same thing they have. These circles of support begin to emerge organically, and we naturally support one another,” said Chicoine.

The Veterans Center has a commitment to provide the best support possible to veterans, and place a high value on their ability to learn, grow and adapt to continue to provide the best resources possible, according to Chicoine.

“I have an opportunity to organize different resources available with the tremendous amount of support around the university. The VA certifying officials, the financial aid staff, the accounts receivable staff are all terrific people here to help veterans,” said Chicoine.

The Founding Fathers are veterans in their own way. They all had the same mission and came from very similar walks of life. Veterans today are not one demographic, they come from all different walks of life and all have their own experiences.

“Its very difficult to stereotype what the veteran thinks because they are not one demographic,” Chicoine said. “When you visit with individuals who served in the military, we have all kinds of experience. It’s a different culture and sometimes reintegrating back into a university system can be difficult.”

Chicoine decided his junior year of high school he wanted to serve in the military, and served in the U.S. Navy for six years after he graduated high school in Gilbert, Iowa. His father and brother were also both in the U.S. Navy.

“I decided when I was going to serve in the military in Special Forces and that was a big decision and I had to do my homework,” Chicoine said. “My biggest concern was I would regret it, but it was the right decision for me at that time in my life. My military service doesn’t define who I am, but it certainly was a huge part of my life story.”

There are several opportunities at Iowa State to interact with veterans, but this is something often overlooked by people who are not directly associated with them.

“The privilege I have is to continually work with extraordinary men and women,” Chicoine said. “Sometimes I believe that we need to increase dialogue across our university setting and across our communities to create deeper empathy for the sacrifices and services veterans and their families make. If you’re not a veteran or directly connected, then you don’t have to think about it a whole lot.”

Telling the stories of veterans is important, but Chicoine urges people to not forget about the families of veterans and those impacted by them.

“I think its important to shift the focus from veterans to those affected, it allows for opportunities to create empathy,” Chicoine said. “Everybody wants to focus on what’s going on with veterans, but we can’t forget about the families.”

There is a rich history of military tradition at Iowa State. The Gold Star Hall, located in the Memorial Union, and what it represents is just one example.

“A lot of times people miss it, but if you walk just north of the Memorial Union, there is a maple tree,” said Chicoine.“Little things like that we might miss if we don’t think about it, and take time to notice.”

The ISU Veterans Club planted the tree during the Vietnam War era in 1978. Under the tree there is a plaque that reads, “May this Crimson Maple stand in Honor of those who served, and symbolize our future growth in peace and prosperity.

“Veterans bring a wealth of experience and knowledge about the world and the value of freedom to our campus,” Hill said. “Our role in serving those who have served us is to provide them with first class service and respect, and it is an honor to have the opportunity to serve them.”

237 years ago the Founding Fathers of the United States of America declared the nation’s independence, that is the significance of the Fourth of July.

“I think the Fourth of July is an opportunity for us to reflect more deeply on our own story and the context of the society in which we live,” Chicoine said.

“For many people its about fireworks and an opportunity to get out of a day’s work, but I think any sort of holiday like this is an opportunity to reflect more deeply on the men and women who serve and continue to serve for each of us as a society.”