Editorial: Students have political power

In the fledging stage between childhood and full adult responsibility, many college students feel that they do not have the same political power as those middle-aged men and women espousing their opinions on television or online.

Despite being by definition adults, college students have yet to adopt full responsibility in life, and in fact many students revel in the irresponsibility of their post-adolescent youthfulness. But even the binge-drinking, keg-standing thousands have the political strength to enact change.

On a campus of 30,000 students, it’s easy for an incoming freshman to get swept up in the tide and become just a number. The easiest way to avoid that is to take the advice offered by every campus tour guide, adviser or fellow student: Join a club.

There are a variety of political clubs on the Iowa State campus that enable an individual to make their voice heard, even on so large a campus. There are clubs for individual causes or movements, as well as specific political affiliations, such as the ISU College Republicans or the Iowa State University College Democrats. Members of those groups encourage new students to be politically active through the various organizations at Iowa State.

An even less committed and more common way to be politically active is to simply vote. A common excuse among nonvoters is that “it doesn’t make a difference.” Keep in mind that the 30,000 students make up nearly half of the Ames electorate. The ISU student body has political power, and it’s the individuals who shape how the student body thinks.

When voting or organizations don’t do the trick, sending letters or messages to lawmakers is the easiest and most effective way to voice dissent.

The classic “send a letter to your congressman” advice still has a place. Whether in snail mail or email form, this antiquated advice is still effective. An overflowing inbox is something no Senator (or at least his underlings) can ignore.

A carefully constructed email to a congressman has all the personal formality that seems fitting in politics, but there are equally effective and less ceremonial methods of getting lawmakers’ attention.

The prevalence of social media communications isn’t just applicable in social life; it can also be used for sending a message. If a tweet sent to a congressman contains enough power in its short 140 characters, it will get retweeted or replied to over and over again, until it’s too big to be ignored.

ISU College Republicans President Jonathon Laudner has seen firsthand the effects of twitter bombs directed at lawmakers.

“It’s incredible the type of chaos it creates in those D.C. offices,” Laudner said, after spending time in Congressman Steve King’s office.

Voicing opinions on social media won’t always result in positive feedback, but it’s that risk that makes it all the more powerful. To take on the mantle of political responsibility, college students need to be willing to take those extra steps. So get out there and vote, organize, tweet and flex those political muscles.