ISU cadet to attend dive school in Florida

Paul Ehrsam

The Special Forces Combat Diver Qualification Course is considered one of the toughest training courses in the military and only 20 ROTC cadets get invited to it nationwide. One of those cadets invited was ISU Army cadet Koby Wortman.

“I am very much looking forward to the course,” said Wortman, sophomore in interdisciplinary studies. “It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to attend the school, as usually only Army Special Forces and Rangers go to it. I cannot wait to learn from these men.”

The dive school takes place from May 18 to July 5, 2013, in Key West, Fla. The cadets must first make it through the weeklong pre-course in order to  proceed with the rest of the six-week training.

“It is a pretty all-inclusive course to train students to be comfortable under hazardous conditions in the water, and it’s primarily designed for Rangers and Special Forces for water born operations,” said Lt. Col. Richard Smith, professor of military science. “So they go through pretty stringent training under tough conditions, because ocean swimming is pretty tough.” 

The course is widely considered one of the most difficult military training courses there is. It was featured in an episode of Discovery Channel’s show: “Surviving the Cut.”

“This is such a hard course and is probably the hardest one you can send cadets too, because not many cadets go,” Smith said.

Wortman is a veteran and current cadet in Iowa State’s Army ROTC program with aspirations to become an officer for the Army. Leaders believe his combat experience should help him get through the course.

“I think he’s going to make it through.  He’s been working his butt off and he’s very comfortable in the water and training hard enough for it,” Smith said, “I think based on his prior service experience and experience as a combat veteran he should do pretty good.”

Wortman was informed of his possible selection in early February. He was told of his official selection in March and has been training vigorously ever since.

“I have been preparing for this school since the day I received word that I might get the slot, about three straight months,” Wortman said. “I have received a lot of help in my training from Jathan Chicoine, the Veteran’s Affairs Coordinator here at Iowa State who conducted similar training when he was a Navy SEAL, and also other cadets here in Army ROTC who are former swimmers.” 

Iowa State’s reputation as one of the toughest and most demanding training programs in the military and the chance to learn from Special Forces are some of the reasons Wortman accepted the selection.

“I chose to go to the Combat Dive course because it is widely considered the toughest school the Army has to offer,” Wortman said. “This reputation for difficulty both physically and mentally appeals to me because I wish to challenge myself. Most importantly, this school will give me the opportunity to learn from Active Duty Special Forces operators.”

Wortman said if he does get through the course it will not be because he did it by himself.

“Any success I might have at [Special Forces Combat Diver Qualification Course] is thanks to the people who have supported my training all semester,” Wortman said. “The instructors here at ROTC have given me free reign to conduct my own workouts during morning [physical training]. Mr. Chicoine’s advice has been extremely helpful, and … Bruce Lund, a high school swimmer, has given me much advice on long distance swimming techniques.

Wortman said he will never give up during the course.

“I do not take what comes in front of me lightly. I realize this will be a challenging course, but I will drown before I quit.”