One-on-one with Iowa State professor Jeff Ames

Photo: Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Daily

Jeff Ames grades papers in his office at Hamilton Hall on May 29, 2013.  Ames teaches classes throughout the year including fall, spring, and summer.

Katie Grunewald

Jeff Ames is a well-known instructor to many journalism students. Ames has taught at Iowa State University for six years, and has a history in writing, producing and directing. He is currently a lecturer at the Greenlee School of Journalism at ISU and is also a faculty adviser to journalism students. He lives in Clive, Iowa approximately 45 minutes away from Ames and commutes to work. He teaches basic journalism classes and advanced skill classes with a focus on students who want to enter a career in broadcast journalism, whether it be behind or in front of a camera.

Do you think teaching in the summer is less stressful or more stressful than teaching during the fall or spring semesters?

Teaching in the summer is much less stressful. There is less to do. The less that you have to do, the less juggling there is.

Do your students’ grades and overall academic performance change depending on whether its the summer session or the fall or spring semesters?

Yes, I think students perform better during the summertime for two reasons. The first, if you’re here in the summer there is a correlation of your motivation to work hard, and you physically being here as a student. You’re either here to get ahead, or you’re here because you just want to learn. Second, all of my classes during the fall or spring semesters meet on Tuesday and Thursday, or Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This gives more time for information to seep out and students forget a lot more. In the summer, when a class meets everyday a lot more sticks with you and students don’t have a chance to get away from it or have it evaporate.

Do you notice a difference in your students’ attitude when it comes to school and being in class?

I don’t see any difference in attitude. My summer students are more focused because they have less to do. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the weather, but it could.

Do you lose any motivation as an instructor in the summer?

I actually enjoy teaching a lot in the summer. I enjoy both the summer and the semesters, but I like the pace of the summer because we keep things going. Things are really moving and students focus more and then their work gets better.

Is there a difference in enrollment size in your classes in the summer session compared to the fall or spring semesters? 

No, the same classes are always full, and the other ones are almost full. I teach skill journalism courses, JLMC 201 and JLMC 206, and those are both always full. JLMC 308 and JLMC 354 are advanced broadcast and editing classes and those are usually near full. In JLMC 354 students work in groups to create video packages, they identify a story and create the package, like they would in their future career. They get a chance to be on live TV and do ten stories in the semester. The only summer class I teach usually is JLMC 201, the others are offered during the fall and spring.

What’s your favorite thing you have done so far during your personal career?

I loved working at Iowa public television, and still do. I go back and do feature stories for them, especially during times like the Iowa State Fair. When it comes to what I have enjoyed the most, teaching here is it.