Dean candidate David Spalding comes to Ames

Photo: Zoe Woods/ Iowa State Daily

David Spalding, one of three finalists for the dean’s position for the college of business, spoke at an open forum on April 8, 2013. Spalding talked to a large audience in 0330 Gerdin about his qualifications for the job and what he would do if he were to be appointed to the position. 

Zoe Woods

David Spalding, one of three candidates for the dean’s position in the College of Business, spoke April 8, 2013 in an open forum. Spalding is the senior vice president and adviser to the president at Dartmouth College.

Spalding talked about his vision, qualifications and the experiences he has. He discussed what he would do if he were to be named dean.

He also described strategic plans and ideas, as well as other things he thought would move the College of Business to the next level.

“As dean, I would plan an opening with a listening tour starting with the faculty, understanding the challenges they face and more importantly the opportunities they face. I’d continue that listening tour with the staff and with students,” Spalding said.

He told the audience about his beliefs and philosophies.

“I am deeply, personally committed to the benefits of higher education,” Spalding said. “I also believe that the strongest higher education institutions are those that have a very student-centered approach … and that’s one of the things that attracts me to Iowa State and to the College of Business.”

Spalding not only talked about the importance of having a student-centered university, but also about the role of the faculty and how they fit into the college.

“The faculty is the jewel of the institution … and as dean, my objective would be to ensure that they have the resources, that we’ve set the priorities, and the obstacles to success for the priorities … are taken care of and managed,” Spalding said.

Throughout his speech he talked about the enthusiasm he has for Iowa State and for the College of Business. He discussed his excitement to be considered for the dean position.

“I’m very drawn by the opportunity to get closer to the academic mission. I’m drawn by [the] opportunity to work more closely with the faculty and students,” Spalding said.

“I think the Iowa State mission is one that is very compelling to me. The opportunity to be involved in a more broadly accessible higher education experience, the opportunity to be involved in giving back broadly to the state.”

Spalding talked about not having a 12-step program, but a strategic plan that called for the collaboration of many people and decision-making that included many inputs.

Of the three candidates for the dean’s position, he has a non-traditional background because of his lack of a doctorate degree.

Dawn Bratsch-Prince, associate provost in the World Languages and Cultures department, has helped in the process of deciding the three finalists.

“We were open to candidates that had met our qualifications, that were enthusiastic, had vision, and had experience. [Spalding] rose to the top of our pile along with the other two candidates,” Bratsch-Prince said.

“Based on their responses that they give to their questions, their vision, their passion, [and] their experience … we chose our candidates.”

Spalding concluded his speech by talking about the College and went into more specifics about his philosophies and plans for it if he were to become dean.

“I’m impressed. I think I’m impressed with what I have learned about the College of Business from a distance,” Spalding said.