Underage drinking laws under debate

Reports of underage drinking concern many. Student Government is proposing a drug and alcohol amnesty policy to the university that would give underage students immunity from legal repercussions if seeking medical attention from ingesting too much of a substance.

Stanley Ihejirika

Incidents have been reported all over Iowa of underage drinking going wrong and teens drinking and driving. 

“I let my son go to a party that he told me was just a get together of some friends. My son drank underage and got alcohol poisoning,” said Carmelita Collins, mother of a University of Iowa student.

“I support this bill because adults and minors both have to learn to take responsibility for the actions they take. We as adults have to be more vigilant about what our children are doing up until they are the age of adulthood.”

Groups such as the Alliance of Coalitions for Change are pushing for a social host law that would prohibit adults from allowing minors to consume alcohol.

They are also looking to expand Iowa’s minor-in-possession law to include consumption as well as possession.

House File 396 was introduced last year, but hasn’t advanced very far. It embodies a social host law as well as baring minors from consuming alcohol.

With a few amendments, the bill would extend to parents, college roommates or any adults who allow minors to drink on their property or under their supervision. They would be facing a misdemeanor and could face fines if caught.

“Social host ordinances have been adopted in several cities. We are trying to expand these ordinances all over Iowa. The bill was passed out of the public safety committee, but hasn’t made any more progress this year,” said State Representative Tom Shaw.

“We have drafted an amendment that would make the bill stronger, but there are still too many concerns with the bill.”

The state’s current law of underage drinking only covers physical possession of an alcoholic beverage. If the bill is expanded to consumption it means a minor could be charged with a violation if they fail a breath or blood test.

“Underage drinking has not really increased on campus. The community and officers have been working cohesively to crack down on underage drinking. Liquor law violations and citations have increased while other crimes have decreased,” said Lt. Elliott Florer.

“Outreach programs and police are doing better to modify behavior when it comes to underage drinking and other crimes. The community has really been assisting the police as phone calls are going up about 2,000 for the past 5-6 years.”