Letter to the editor: ‘Establish and Grow’ silent auction helps alleviate malnutrition in Africa

Global resource systems majors will be holding a silent auction to raise funds for Establish and Grow, a student program through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Establish and Grow aims to both support and develop sustainable nutritional programs in the Kamuli District of Uganda. Each summer, a group of passionate students from Iowa State spend six weeks working within the district. Funds have provided nutrient-dense meals for infants and children, seeds and planting materials for mothers to grow crops, and educational training in agriculture, nutrition and health for mothers. You can further read about the efforts at: http://www.ag.iastate.edu/students/service_learning/establish_and_grow/

The auction will be held in the Sun Room of Iowa State’s Memorial Union from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, April 25, 2013. We have collected a wide range of amazing items from on campus and off campus, including autographed items from the ISU basketball and football teams. The students will be presenting further information about global development issues and development projects we have been a part of. Join us for a night of fun, food and a chance to make a difference in the global community!

For any donations you wish to give or you wish to be put in the auction, please send them to:

Dylan Rolfes, GLOBE graduate student

106 Horticulture Hall (open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. during weekdays)

Iowa State University

Ames, IA 50011

[email protected]